Fostering urban sustainability through innovative technologies
The Research Institute for Sustainable Urban Development (RISUD) has recently held its annual international symposium, bringing together about 50 speakers from across the globe to share their insights into frontier topics, including air pollution and human health, large floating infrastructure, and urban carbon neutrality. PolyU established the RISUD in 2012 to develop sustainable solutions for problems generated by high-density urban development.
Sponsored by Ove Arup Foundation and Kwang-Hua Education Foundation, the two-day Symposium, themed “Urban Sustainability through Innovative Technologies”, attracted more than 250 on-site participants from different parts of the world.
Director of RISUD Prof. Li Xiangdong welcomes the guests and attendees.
Chairman of RISUD’s International Advisory Committee Dr Andrew Chan,
Senior Consultant, Arup Group, sharing his insights at the Symposium
Five experts gave plenary presentations at the Symposium. They included:
• Mr Wong Kam-sing, Former Secretary for Environment of the HKSAR Government
• Professor Jiang Guibin, Director of State Key Laboratory of Environmental Chemistry and Ecotoxicology, Chinese Academy of Sciences
• Professor Frank Kelly, Battcock Chair in Community Health and Policy, School of Public Health, Imperial College London
• Professor Chou Siaw Kiang, Emeritus Professor, College of Design and Engineering, National University of Singapore
• Professor Lin Ming, Chief Scientist of China Communications Construction Company Limited and Academician of Chinese Academy of Engineering
PolyU President Professor Jin-Guang Teng addressed the participants at the opening ceremony, affirming again the University’s strong sense of social responsibility and commitment to conducting cutting-edge interdisciplinary research to address pressing societal challenges, including those related to urban sustainability.
You Might Also Like
ABarginase, a new drug curing multiple obesity-related diseases
Professor Thomas Leung Yun-chung Director of University Research Facility in Life Sciences Lo Ka Chung Charitable Foundation Professor in Pharmaceutical Sciences Professor of the Department of Applied Biology and Chemical Technology Professor Alisa...
Senior staff appointments and promotions
(between 1 April and 30 June 2023) Congratulations to the following PolyU members who have recently taken up a new capacity at the University. (Listed in alphabetical order) Appointments Professor Chau Kwok-tong as Chair Professor of...
PolyU recognises six young researchers with the Young Innovative Researcher Award
The young generation is spearheading a new wave of innovations and technologies, as a growing force that will also change our perception of the future society. With the aim of encouraging and nurturing young scholars, PolyU held its first Young...