Please refer to the GS website for more details.
3-year Direct-entry PhD
Admittees' Qualification: Master's degree with research component
# Students who fail the compulsory PhD Qualification Exam will be required to exit with the MPhil degree (subject to meeting all the relevant MPhil requirements).
4-year Direct-entry PhD
Admittees' Qualification: Bachelor’s degree or Master’s degree without research component
Normal Study Period: 4 years
Maximum Study Period: 6 years
Credit Requirements & Study Timeline
Research Methodology Courses
Minimum 6 credits (minimum two subjects of the following six subjects):
- MM6001 Research Methodology
- MM6004 Research Methods for Behavioural Research
- AF6003 Econometric Methods
- AF6005 Microeconomic Foundations of Financial Economics
- LGT6006 Statistics and Game Theoretic Methods for Business Analysis and Decisions
- LGT6204 Inventory and Supply Chain Management
Maximum 12 credits (maximum four, with no more than 6 credits for 3-year PhD / 9 credits for 4-year PhD from Guided study subjects)
Specialized Subjects offered by LMS:
- LGT6201 Optimization Models and Methodologies
- LGT6202 Stochastic Models and Decision under Uncertainty
- LGT6203 Maritime and Air Transportation Economics
- LGT6801 Guided Study in Logistics I
- LGT6802 Guided Study in Logistics II
- LGT6803 Guided Study in Logistics III
Research Seminar Subjects
3 credits (3-year PhD) or 4 credits (4-year PhD): Attendance of at least 30 or 40 research seminars
HTI6081 Ethics: Research, Professional and Personal Perspectives (1 Credit)
LGT6222 University Teaching/Research Practicum (2 Credits)
English Enhancement Subjects
Subject to the results of Research Language Skills Assessment (0 - 5 Credits)
- Starting from the 2022/23 intake cohort, all research students are required to complete the e-Learning module on “Understanding China and the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, P.R.C.” in English before thesis submission as a graduation requirement. Details: https://www.polyu.edu.hk/ous/nationaleducation/understanding-china-and-hongkong/
- Students can exit with a Master of Philosophy (MPhil) degree (subject to meeting all the relevant MPhil requirements).
Applicants should submit application online for fall-semester admission at eAdmission. Please click here for the prospectus.
Note: GMAT or GRE results are required. Applicants with a GMAT score below 600; or a GRE score below 150 for verbal reasoning component and/or below 162 for quantitative reasoning component must have a strong academic record and/or extensive experience in their interested field to demonstrate their research potential. You are not required to submit the GMAT/GRE result at the time of application. However, you must fulfil the requirement before programme registration.