To cope with the rapid development of logistics in Hong Kong and the Chinese mainland with mounting demand for talents, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University (PolyU) officially established the Department of Logistics on 1 September 2003, after a reorganisation incorporating the former Department of Shipping and Transport Logistics and part of the former Department of Management.
In September 2008, PolyU made another move to rename the Department as Department of Logistics and Maritime Studies to better reflect the Department's strengths and growing portfolio. Currently, PolyU is the sole provider of maritime education at the tertiary level in Hong Kong.
Since its establishment, the Department has attained encouraging achievements with wide recognition from the industries, professional bodies and the government.
Highlights of some major developments include:
- Named as one of the "Best Ten Universities in Logistics in China for the Year 2006" by the "China Logistics Development Annual Conference";
- Established the CY Tung International Centre for Maritime Studies in 2007 with the generous support from The Tung Foundation for its further advancement;
- Established the Hong Kong Maritime Scholarship Scheme in 2007 with the donation of HK$4 million from the HKSAR Government to support students enrolled in the MSc in International Shipping and Transport Logistics;
- Established the Hong Kong Nautical and Maritime Scholarship Scheme, which consists of two prongs - "Seafaring Scholarship" and "Maritime Scholarship" in 2018 with funding support from the HKSAR Government to attract local students to join the BBA (Hons) in International Shipping and Transport Logistics programme.
- Founded different scholarship schemes with donations from reputed organisations including the Hong Kong Shipowners Association, Pacific Basin Shipping (Hong Kong) Ltd., Shun Tak China Travel Ship Management Limited, DHL Global Forwarding (Hong Kong) Limited;
- Launched the BBA (Hons) in Aviation Management and Logistics, a two-year full-time top-up degree programme, in September 2017.
- The Department's BBA (Hons) in International Shipping and Transport Logistics programme was accorded with ICSTCW status, the only university in Hong Kong recognized by International Maritime Organization;
- The Department's BBA (Hons) and MSc programmes in Global Supply Chain Management received professional recognition from four professional bodies, including the Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport in Hong Kong (CILTHK), the Chartered Institute of Purchasing and Supply (CIPS), the International Institution of Management (IIM), and the Institute of Purchasing & Supply of Hong Kong (IPSHK).
With major areas of specialisation in "global supply chain" and "international shipping and transport logistics", the Department offers comprehensive and internationally recognised academic programmes ranging from undergraduate to postgraduate levels. The primary aims are to nurture highly effective logistics managers and leaders through the development of contemporary educational materials and the use of innovative and teaching methods.
The Department's master's programmes in Global Supply Chain Management, International Shipping and Transport Logistics, and Operations Management offer in-depth knowledge to managers and professionals in the field, and they embody a sound balance between academic theory and professional practice. The MSc programme in International Shipping and Transport Logistics, for example, covers not only maritime knowledge, but also practical subjects such as port policy and management, shipping law, and marine insurance.
The Department also actively collaborates with top-tier institutions on the Chinese mainland. One of these initiatives was the launch of its flagship Master of Science in Quality Management with the Zhejiang University in Zhejiang. Drawing on the academic profile of the Department, the programme attracted candidates from different backgrounds including banking and finance, catering and restaurant, construction, engineering, government departments, health care, hotel, logistics, merchandising, production, property management, public utilities, purchasing, quality testing and certification, retailing, tourism, trading, transportation, warehousing, and other service industries.
In line with PolyU's tradition, the Department has placed strong emphasis on innovative research in various areas covering maritime, shipping, ports, supply chain management and transport logistics. The academic staff have been rigorously engaging in research activities, witnessed by the growing number of research papers published in top-quality academic journals.
The designation of some projects as niche areas by the University further signifies the department's excellence in research ideas and activities.
As a centre of excellence in logistics and maritime education for nurturing professional talents, the Department also strives to provide research and consultancy services for the business community. With close collaboration with the industries, application and real world connection, the Department can bring the highest quality of teaching, research and consultancy into classes, which will bring benefits for the industry and the community as a whole. It is what PolyU makes a difference in logistics and maritime education.