Bachelor of Science (Honours) in Investment Science and Finance Analytics
Entrance Year Sept 2023
Programme Code 63426-SY
Mode of Study Full-time
Normal Duration 2 years
Programme Intake 13
Fund Type Government-funded
Credits Required for Graduation
Normally 70 credits (plus 2 training credits)*^
* depending on the student's qualification
* depending on the student's qualification
Dr Sze Nung Sing, Raymond
BSc, MPhil, PhD
Deputy Programme Leader
Dr He Daihai
Assistant Programme Leader
Mr. Leung Man Kin, Adam
- The credit requirements of this programme are indicative only and subject to review.
- The exact study duration and number of credits to be transferred will depend on the entry qualifications of individual AD/HD admittees.
Aims and Characteristics
To produce graduates with strong mathematical and statistical skills and a thorough understanding of their applications in the world of modern investment and finance analytics. The programme develops students’ abilities in quantitative analysis, data analytics, critical thinking and communication skills, which will enable them to develop an outlook and a methodology that are valuable in pursuing careers in business and financial-related fields.
This programme focuses on the study of modern data analytics needed in the finance industry. Its curriculum covers areas such as big data analytics, business intelligence and customer relationship management, machine learning, algorithmic trading and artificial intelligence, which will strengthen students’ data interpretation and analytical skills and support them to develop careers in the evolving investment and finance industries.
An appropriate Associate Degree or a Higher Diploma in Mathematics, Statistics, Engineering, Science or Business or similar qualifications from a recognised institution.
Online applications can be made via our eAdmission
Applicants will be invited to have face-to-face / online interviews, which will be conducted in English.
Students entering the 4-year programme through senior year places are considered for credit transfers based on their academic performance in AD/HD programmes. Depending on the number of credits transferred, students will follow a reduced curriculum of 60 to 75 credits.
Students will study advanced subjects in investment science, finance analytics and computer science, including Elective Subjects.In the final year of study, students complete a Capstone Project in which they tackle a problem or research topic in investment science/applied mathematics/statistics, consolidating discipline-specific knowledge, concepts and generic skills developed through different stages of the programme.
Recognition and Career Prospect
Graduates with the major in BSc (Hons) in Investment Science and Finance Analytics (ISFA) are expected to receive partial exemption from the professional assessment of:
- Hong Kong Securities and Investment Institute*
- Hong Kong Statistical Society
- Royal Statistical Society of UK
* Graduates with economic/finance or relevant degree qualification could apply for license by passing Licensing Examination for Securities and Futures Intermediaries Paper 1 only and would be exempted from Papers 7 & 8. Student should submit his application to HKSI. Exemption will be considered for candidates who achieve satisfactory results in specified papers. For details, please visit www.hksi.org/hksi/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=71&Itemid=98&lang=enThe ISFA programme is affiliated with the CFA Institute University Affiliation Program. This affiliation demonstrated that the ISFA curriculum is closely tied to professional practice and is well-suited to preparing students to sit for the CFA examinations. The curriculum has been acknowledged as covering at least 70% of the CFA Program Level I Candidate Body of Knowledge (CBOK) topics. Through participation in the affiliation program, CFA student scholarship is available to ISFA students.
Infusing the computer science elements into the curriculum, this programme provides mathematical and statistical training, with a special emphasis on applications in investment and finance analytics. The education supports students to pursue various careers in the financial sector such as investment banking, fund management, risk management and financial product development and pricing.
In the past decade, the Department has groomed thousands of graduates and most of them have found employment in prestigious and renowned corporations throughout the Asia Pacific area.
The Investment Science programme helped me develop analytics and problem solving skill which has laid a strong foundation for my career development.
The IS programme is a perfect blend of statistics, programming, finance and definitely helpful for my future study and career. The courses prepared me for pursuing further study in Data Science. Our department would also offer us research opportunities and keep us posted for any update on the career market.
This programme integrated both mathematical and financial knowledge. I’m well prepared to establish insight through analyzing data and pursue career in the banking industry.
Studying in AMA is an unforgettable experience to me. Exchange and internship opportunities were always open for us to strengthen our learning experiences and help us find our true selves. Many of us have found our career paths by taking internship. I plan to pursue further study and have gained support from professors for taking a Master’s degree.
AMA’s teachers are very supportive and patient. They guided me to fill the knowledge gap and develop passion in Mathematics study.
The Investment Science is an interdisciplinary program covering a variety of subjects, including mathematics, statistics, finance, and computer science. I truly appreciate my decision of choosing IS program at PolyU which provided me a great platform to pursue my dream.