Academic Advising System
The Academic Advising is compulsory and applies to all full-time students under the 4-year undergraduate degree structure, including those admitted to Articulation Programmes or Senior Year Places.
In order to help students to make informed and intelligent academic decisions/choices about their study that suit their professional and personal goals, every freshman will be assigned an academic advisor from his/her own Department under the new 4-year undergraduate curriculum from 2012/13 onwards.
Academic Advising focuses on:
- Helping students to develop an appropriate study plan and assisting in their selection of appropriate courses to achieve their identified goals.
- Building rapport with the students, serving as a bridge that connects them to the department.
- Clarifying to students the academic regulations and requirements.
- Identifying students with special learning needs or early signs of learning problems, and referring/encouraging them to seek help or support.
List of Academic Advisors and Student Advisees (2021/2022)
Frequency and Format of Consultation
Academic advisors and his/her student advisees are free to decide the format of interactions. You are expected to keep in contact with your academic advisor regularly (via emails or other means), and to have at least one face-to-face consultation with him/her every semester.
Student's responsibilities in Academic Advising
Effective academic advising requires an active participation of the student advisees in the processes. You are reminded to take your responsibilities to:
- Understand the academic regulations and requirements of your chosen Programme, as well as the General University Requirements (GUR).
- For more details about the GUR Requirements and Service Learning subjects of PolyU, please visit the website of OGUR (Office of General University Requirements).
- Actively obtain information, and consult advisors on a regular basis and as needed.
- Take the final responsibility for making decisions and choices regarding their academic study based on the information and advice given.
Quality Assurance Mechanisms
What should I do as a student advisee?
To ensure the quality of the academic advising system, every student is requested to submit a completed student advisee feedback form to the Programme Leader via the Undergraduate Secretary at the end of each semester.
Meanwhile, the academic advisor will also submit a completed “Evaluation Form” on each student, to the Programme Leader via the Undergraduate Secretary at the end of each semester. The compiled evaluation/feedback result would be reported to and reviewed by the Departmental Undergraduate Programme Committee for further actions/ or improvement plan, if necessary.
Can I request a change of academic advisor?
You would be given a chance to indicate if you would like to change the Academic Advisor after the 1st semester of your year one study. If there is a proposed change, you have to submit a written request together with the Student advisee Feedback Form to the Programme Leader via the General Office (TU732, 7/F, Core T) for further consideration.
- Office of General University Requirements (OGUR )
- For details/information on academic advising within PolyU, please refer to OGUR website.
- Bachelor of Science (Honours) in Investment Science and Finance Analytics (63426)
- Bachelor of Science (Honours) in Data Science and Analytics (63425)
For IS/ISFA programmes, please contact Ms Olivia Tsui (Email: email@example.com / Tel: 2766 6946)
For DSA programme, please contact Ms Ida Man (Email: firstname.lastname@example.org / Tel: 2766 6948)
If you have other enquiry, please contact Miss Alice Kwong (Email: email@example.com / Tel: 2766 6934)