Mathematics Learning Support Centre (MLSC)
IntroductionManaged by the Department of Applied Mathematics, the Mathematics Learning Support Centre (MLSC) provides Mathematics and Statistics supports to students of the PolyU. Our experienced Mathematics and Statistics instructors will provide a full, integrated, support service for students who would need supplementary help in their mathematics studies. Students are highly recommended to make appointment online for the service.
PolyU student who has enrolled in Mathematics and Statistics subjects offered by AMA
- Provide friendly individual advice for student who would like to improve their mathematical skills
- Assist students in the early stage of their studies in mathematics and statistics
- Facilitate student's learning in various mathematical topics through regular workshops.
Room P119, 1/F, Core P, Anita Chan Building, PolyU
Activities and Services
Regular Help Session (RHS)
RHS will provide walk-in consultation service at P119 to help students in their studying and learning of
mathematic and statistics. (From 14:00 to 18:00, Monday to Friday, Week 4 - 13)
Flexible Tutorial Session (FTS)
FTS allows students to select service time. Students should form a group of 5 members or above to use the service.
Please book the service via the following link one week before your preferring time.
Please click HERE to view the available topics.
FTS Booking System (From Monday to Friday, Week 4 - 13)
Revision Tutorial Session (RTS)
RTS provide tutorials for students reviewing the certain subjects.
Please select the session from the following timetable for AMA1110 revision tutorials, Week 4-5(Test 1), 7-9(Test 2), 12-13(Exam).
Mathematical and Statistical Salon (MASS)
- The 1st MASS talk "Can you beat the house? A very short introduction to statistics for gambling" by Dr. Stan Yip (February 12, 2014)
- The 2nd MASS talk "Discovering statistics using R" by Dr. Daihai He (March 11, 2014)
- The 3rd MASS talk "Introduction to Radio Astronomy and Mathematics" by Dr. Chun Sing Leung (April 14, 2014)
- The 4th MASS talk "High Performance Statistical Computing" by Dr. Xin Guo (September 29, 2014)
- The 5th MASS talk "Finite Element Methods for Elliptic Boundary Value Problems" by Dr. Jintao Cui (November 26, 2014)
- The 6th MASS talk "Modeling of Pandemic Influenza" by Dr. Daihai He (Feburary 12, 2015)
- The 7th MASS talk "Your Real Life with Mean Field Games" by Dr. James Huang (March 26, 2015)
- The 8th MASS talk "Eradicating Ebola and Searching for a lost plane - Mathematical Contest in Modeling" by Dr. Daihai He (November 12, 2015)
- The 9th MASS talk "Investment with Transaction Fees: Arbitrage and Beyond" by Dr. Xiang Yu (March 4, 2016)
- The 10th MASS talk "YES or NO? Decision making using statistical discriminant analysis for high dimensional data." by Dr. Binyan Jiang (March 22, 2016)
- The 11th MASS talk "Modelling of Zika virus disease outbreak and Mathematical Contest in Modelling" by Dr. Daihai He (September 26, 2016)
- The 12th MASS talk "Optimization Using Primary School Mathematics" by Dr. Zaikun Zhang (March 2, 2017)
- The 13th MASS talk "Computational Issues in Partial Differential Equations" by Dr. Buyang Li (March 28, 2017)
- The 14th MASS talk "Scientific Reasoning and Statistics" by Dr. Kin Yau Wong (October 3, 2017)
- The 15th MASS talk "Mathematical modelling of deadly viruses: Middle East Respiratory Syndrome - Coronavirus (MERS-CoV) and Yellow-fever virus, and Mathematical Contest in Modelling (MCM) for undergraduates" by Dr. Daihai He (November 16, 2017)
- The 16th MASS talk "An Invitation to Fractional Calculus" by Dr. Zhi Zhou (March 7, 2018)
- How to apply to the "Minor Programme in Applied Mathematics" by Programme team of the Minor Programme in Applied Mathematics (4 and 10 October, 2018)
- The 17th MASS talk "Modelling of the spreading of infectious diseases and Mathematical Contest in Modelling (MCM)" by Dr. Daihai He (November 7, 2018)
- The 18th MASS talk "The Mathematics behind Musical Rhythms" by Dr Hua Zhang (April 4, 2019)
- How to apply to the "Minor Programme in Applied Mathematics" by Programme team of the Minor Programme in Applied Mathematics (8 and 9 October, 2019)
- The 19th MASS talk "Forecasting Association Football Outcomes" by Dr Stan Yip (October 27, 2021)
- The 20th MASS talk "A Brief Introduction to Ancient Japanese Mathematics" by Dr Joseph Lee (May 18, 2022)
- The 21st MASS talk "Polynomial optimization and Sum of Squares" by Dr Xindong Tang (November 25, 2022)
- The 22nd MASS talk "Mathematics in Deep Learning" by Dr Guohao Shen (April 3, 2023)
- The 23rd MASS talk "A Gentle Introduction to Bayesian Statistics" by Dr Junyi Zhang (December 1, 2023)