My research has mainly focused on language teacher education and English for academic purposes.
In my research, I have focused on promoting reflection among language teachers and devising models that extend this area of research. The current focus of my work is on teachers’ identity (re)construction and emotional vulnerability as a structural condition of teaching.
Also, inspired by my own journey of acquiring the rules and regulations of the academic discourse communities and the struggles and hurdles that I faced along the way, I have conducted research on academic literacy development and academic integrity in higher education. I am particularly interested in exploring the challenges, strategies, and life stories of newcomers or novice researchers on their path to gaining membership in their academic discourse communities. I have a special interest in improving scholarly communication by helping students gain the academic literacies they need to navigate within academic communities and stay away from bad science.
Education and Academic Qualifications
- PhD in Applied Linguistics, Kharazmi University, Tehran, Iran (Supervisors: Mahmood Reza Atai and Catherine E. Snow).
Academic and Professional Experiences
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of English and Communication, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hong Kong (2021-2022)
- Visiting Research Scholar, Harvard University, USA (Jan 2018 – Aug 2018)
- Part-time Lecturer, Department of Foreign Languages, Kharazmi University, Tehran, Iran (2014-2018)
- English language teaching methodology
- Academic writing and publishing
- English for academic purposes
- Professional communication
- American Association of Applied Linguistics (AAAL), USA
- Asia-Pacific LSP & Professional Communication Association, Hong Kong
- Hong Kong Association for Applied Linguistics (HAAL), Hong Kong
- Teaching English Language and Literature Society of Iran (TELLSI), Iran
- Faculty of Humanities Outstanding Teaching Award for Postgraduate Students and Postdoctoral Fellows (2021/22), The Hong Kong Polytechnic University.
- Top Student Researcher of Iran (2018), Selected by the Teaching English Language and Literature Society of Iran (TELLSI).
- Outstanding Student of the Year (2018), Kharazmi University, Iran.