Dr Ellen TAN
Research Assistant Professor
- +852 2766 6342
Dr Tan obtained a Bachelor’s degree in clinical medicine from Xiangya Medical School, Central South University, China, in 2010. She then completed her MSc and PhD degrees at the Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, in 2011 and 2014 respectively. From 2015 to 2017, Dr Tan was a Postdoctoral Clinician Researcher at the Department of Ophthalmology, Chinese People’s Liberation Army General Hospital. From 2018 to 2020, she worked as an Associate Consultant in Ophthalmology in Joint Shantou International Eye Center of Shantou University and The Chinese University of Hong Kong, China. Dr Tan joined the School of Optometry of The Hong Kong Polytechnic University in 2020 as a Research Assistant Professor.
In addition to the diagnosis and treatment of common diseases in ophthalmology, Dr Tan is an expert in glaucoma and neuro-ophthalmic diseases. She has provided clinical service to thousands of ophthalmological patients every year. She also joined several poverty alleviation projects, including a charity programme for cataract screening and operations in rural areas, and a training programme under the Lifeline Express Foundation.
Education and Academic Qualifications
- Master of Science, The Chinese University of Hong Kong
- Doctor of Philosophy, The Chinese University of Hong Kong
- Neuro-ophthalmology, focusing on the therapy of autoimmune optic neuropathy, non-arteritic anterior ischaemic optic neuropathy and neuromyelitis optica
- Ophthalmology and visual sciences, including neuroimmunity, optic nerve regeneration, molecular biology and proteomics
- Glaucoma, focusing on primary angle closure glaucoma, intraocular pressure measurement and intraocular pressure fluctuation