With the support of The Hong Kong Polytechnic University and The University of Hong Kong, the World Health Organization (WHO) successfully hosted a three-day (from 27 June to 29 June 2023) technical consultation on Public Health and Social Measures for Mitigating the Risk and Impact of Epidemic and Pandemic Influenza – An Update of the 2019 WHO Guidance in Hong Kong.
Experts and stakeholders from all over the world attended the event to review the most up-to-date scientific evidence from systematic reviews on PHSM for influenza. The objective of the meeting was to reach a consensus on recommendations to update the 2019 WHO guidance on non-pharmaceutical public health measures for mitigating the risk and impact of epidemic and pandemic influenza. The updated guidance is expected to provide countries with updated recommendations to improve response measures against the next influenza epidemic or pandemic.
The following is a list of the distinguished guests who delivered speeches at the opening ceremony and cocktail reception:
- Dr Ronald Lam, Director of Department of Health, HKSAR
- Dr Wenqing Zhang, Head of Global Influenza Programme, WHO
- Prof. Christopher Chao, Vice President (Research and Innovation), PolyU
Evening cocktail reception speech
- Prof. Wing-tak Wong, Deputy President and Provost, PolyU
- Dr Wenqing Zhang, Head, Global Influenza Programme, WHO
- Prof. David Bishai, Director, School of Public Health, Li Ka Shing Faculty of Medicine, The University of Hong Kong
- Prof. Larry Chow, Head of Department of Applied Biology and Chemical Technology, PolyU
Sing Tao Daily -https://polyu.me/3Pw87EU
Headline Daily -https://polyu.me/46m17jT