PhD (RPI); MS (CAS); BS (JLU)
Professor Zuankai Wang received his B.S. degree from Jilin University in 2000, M.S. degree from Shanghai Institute of Microsystem and Information Technology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, in 2003, and Ph. D. degree from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in 2008. After one-year postdoc training at Columbia University, he joined the City University of Hong Kong (CityU) in September 2009 and became a Chair Professor in July 2021. He was the Associate Dean in the College of Engineering (2019-2022) and the founding Deputy Director of Research Center for Nature-inspired Engineering (2021-2022) at CityU. He serves as the Executive Editor-in-Chief of the journal, Droplet (Wiley), and associate editor and advisory board member for more than 10 journals.
He is a founding member of Hong Kong Young Academy of Sciences, a Fellow of International Society of Bionic Engineering (ISBE). His work has been recognized by the Guinness Book of World Records and his innovations have won the International Exhibition of Inventions of Geneva Gold Medal with Congratulations of Jury and Gold Medal. He has received many awards including the RGC Senior Research Fellow (2022), Green Tech Award (2021), Xplorer Prize (2020), Hall of Fame (Advanced Engineering Materials, 2019), 35th World Cultural Council Special Recognition Award (2018), President's Lectureship (2020, 2018), Outstanding Research Award (Senior, 2017), President's Award at CityU (2017, 2016), Changjiang Chair Professor by Ministry of Education of China (2016), Outstanding Youth Award conferred by ISBE (2016), Chinese Government Outstanding Self-Financed Students Abroad Award (2007), and Materials Research Society (MRS) Graduate Student Silver Award (2007). The Ph.D. students he supervised have won a number of prestigious awards including MRS Graduate Student Gold Award (2016) and Silver Award (2015, 2021), Hiwin Doctoral Dissertation Award (2016, 2019, and 2021), Hong Kong Young Scientist Award (2015, 2019).
- Jiang, M., Wang, Y., Liu, F., Du, H., To, S., Li, Y., Wang, S., Pan, C., Yu, J., Quere, D., Wang, Z. Inhibiting the Leidenfrost effect above 1000℃ for sustained thermal cooling. Nature, 601, 508 (2022) (Highlighted by Nature News & Views, Nature Video)
- Feng, S., Zhu, P., Zheng, H., Zhan, H., Chen, C., Li, J., Wang, L., Yao, X., Liu, Y., Wang, Z. Three-dimensional capillary ratchet-induced liquid directional steering. Science, 373, 1344 (2021)
- Xu, W., Zheng, H., Liu, Y., Zhou, X., Zhang, C., Song, Y., Deng, X., Leung, M., Yang, Z., Xu, R.X., Wang, Z., Zeng, X.Z., Wang, Z. A droplet-based electricity generator with high instantaneous power density. Nature, 578, 392 (2020)
- Li, J., Hou, Y., Liu, Y., Hao, C., Li, M., Chaudhury, M., Yao, S., Wang, Z. Directional transport of high temperature Janus droplet mediated by structural topography. Nature Phys., 12, 606 (2016)
- Liu, Y., Moevius, L., Xu, X., Qian, T., Yeomans, J., Wang, Z. Pancake bouncing on superhydrophobic surfaces. Nature Phys., 10, 515 (2014)