Digital Manufacturing Stream (DMS) composes of expertise on four main technical domains.
- Computer-aided Design / Simulation
- Reverse Engineering
- Multi-Axis Machining Centre
- Assembly Engineering
We provide support to researchers / students from generating digital conceptual designs to manufacturing final products.
Computer Aided Design & Reverse Engineering Major Facilities
Computer Aided Design & Engineering Software
Location: U204a, U204b
Major installed software includes:
- 3Dx Max
- MS Office
Only available during non-timetabled class hours. Please check with workshop staff on the available time slot.
3D Scanning (Handheld scanner)
"Creaform HandySCAN 700"
- Accuracy: up to 0.03 mm
- Suitable scanning size: 50 mm - 1500 mm
- 3D resolution: up to 0.3 mm (adjustable)
- Recommended for prototype scanning, quality inspection, reverse engineering and archaeology
3D Scanning (Desktop scanner)
"Steinbichler Comet L3D"
- Accuracy: up to 0.01 mm
- Measurement volume (mm): 120x100x60
- 3D resolution: 0.05 mm
- Rcommended for prototype scanning, quality, reverse engineering and archaeology
Software - Geomagic Design X
• Supports import over 60 file format of polygons, point clouds and CAD
• Handle mesh and point cloud data alignment, processing and refining, mesh construction
• Reconstruct 3D solid model from scan data
• Provide auto-surface function, suitable for generating surface/solid model from organic shape scan
CAD to Part Inspection
Software - Geomagic Control X
- Measure point cloud and mesh data
- Compare scan to scan
- Compare scan to original design (CAD)
- Connect portable CMM for measurement
- Analyze Airfoils section
- Support 3D model input with Model based Definition (MBD)
- Generate inspection report (Excel, PPT, HTML and 3D pdf)