Dr Henry Chu received his Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering (Mechatronics option) from the University of Waterloo, Canada, in 2005, and his MASc and PhD degrees in Mechanical and Industrial Engineering from the University of Toronto, Canada, in 2007 and 2011, respectively. He was the recipient of the top-ranked Canada Graduate Scholarship (CGS) (2009-2011) and the pre-approved candidate of the Industrial R&D Fellowships (IRDF) program (2012) from the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC). Prior to joining the Hong Kong Polytechnic University (PolyU), he was a Postdoctoral Fellow at the City University of Hong Kong through the International Transition Team Scheme (Office of the Provost).
At PolyU, he has secured various multi-disciplinary funds including Early Career Scheme (ECS), General Research Fund (GRF), Environment and Conservation Funds (ECF), Large Equipment Fund for Teaching and collaborative projects from the industries to support his research and teaching. He has supervised/co-supervised students to participate in various competitions/schemes, and received many awards, including Feature Article, Best Conference Paper Finalist, ASM Technology Award, and Jetson Project of the Month.
Applications are invited from high caliber candidates as PhD Student/MPhil Student/Research Assistant/Research Associate/Post-doctoral Fellow to join our research team.
- Lai, J., Lu, B., Zhao, Q., & Chu, H. K. (2022). Constrained Motion Planning of a Cable-Driven Soft Robot with Compressible Curvature Modeling. IEEE Robotics and Automation Letters (RA-L), 7(2), 4813-4820.
- Cui, Z., Ma, W., Lai, J., Chu, H. K., & Guo, Y. (2022). Coupled Multiple Dynamic Movement Primitives Generalization for Deformable Object Manipulation. IEEE Robotics and Automation Letters (RA-L), 7(2), 5381-5388.
- Zhao, Q., Lai, J., & Chu, H. K. (2021). Reconstructing External Force on the Circumferential Body of Continuum Robot with Embedded Proprioceptive Sensors. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics (TIE). https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2021.3130326.
- Zhao, Q., Lai, J., Huang, K., Hu, X., & Chu, H. K. (2021). Shape Estimation and Control of a Soft Continuum Robot Under External Payloads. IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics (TMECH). https://doi.org/10.1109/TMECH.2021.3116970.
- Lai, J., Huang, K., Lu, B., Zhao, Q., & Chu, H. K. (2021). Verticalized-Tip Trajectory Tracking of A 3D-Printable Soft Continuum Robot: Enabling Surgical Blood Suction Automation. IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics (TMECH). https://doi.org/10.1109/TMECH.2021.3090838.
- Huang, K., Ajamieh, I. A., Cui, Z., Lai, J., Mills, J. K., & Chu, H. K. (2021). Automated Embryo Manipulation and Rotation via Robotic nDEP-Tweezers. IEEE transactions on bio-medical engineering (TBME), 68(7), 2152-2163. (*Feature Article)
- Lu, B., Yu, X. B., Lai, J. W., Huang, K. C., Chan, K. C. C., & Chu, H. K. (2020). A Learning Approach for Suture Thread Detection with Feature Enhancement and Segmentation for 3-D Shape Reconstruction. IEEE Transactions on Automation Science and Engineering (TASE), 17(2), 858-870.
- Lu, B., Chu, H. K., Huang, K., & Lai, J. (2020). Surgical Suture Thread Detection and 3-D Reconstruction Using a Model-Free Approach in a Calibrated Stereo Visual System. IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics (TMECH), 25(2), 792-803.
- Lai, J., Huang, K., Lu, B., & Chu, H. K. (2020). Toward vision-based adaptive configuring of a bidirectional two-segment soft continuum manipulator. In 2020 IEEE/ASME International Conference on Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics, AIM 2020, pp. 934-939. (*Best Conference Paper Finalist)
- Chu, H. K., Mills, J. K., & Cleghorn, W. L. (2012). Automated parallel microassembly for MEMS application. Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering, 22(3), 035017. (*IOP Selected Article)