- Credit-bearing Subjects are offered to students from all departments and schools.
- Postgraduate Subjects improve postgraduate students' speaking and writing skills for communication in research-related contexts.
- The Reading and Writing Requirements help students develop their academic literacy through passing a Cluster Area Requirement (CAR) subject.
- Centre for Independent Language Learning (CILL), which is open to all students, offers a wide range of facilities and services for students to improve their English.
- Writing Assistance Programme (WAP) helps individual students with their writing projects and assignments.
- Speaking Assistance Programme (SAP) helps students with their spoken English individually and in small groups.
- Excel@English Scheme (EES) is a platform through which students can learn about and participate in non-formal language learning activities offered within the University.
- Diagnostic English Language Tracking Assessment (DELTA) is an English language proficiency measurement system designed to diagnose and track students' strengths and weaknesses in reading, listening, grammar, vocabulary and writing.
- English Club: aims to encourage students to communicate informally in English through activities such as the Big Mouth Corner, cultural programmes, workshops and study tours.
- English Drama Club (EDC): aims to improve students' confidence in using English through role plays and drama productions.
- Reading Club: aims to improve students' English and to enrich their general knowledge through leisure reading and group discussion.
- Community Outreach offers training within the university and to professionals in the wider community, for example in Hong Kong and on the Chinese mainland.
- ELC is a founding member of the Association of Hong Kong Language Centres.
Association of Hong Kong Language Centres