Skip to main content Start main content


Credit/Coursework Requirements

You can book the RLSA test session via ELC’s booking system:

Please take the RLSA in your first semester of study at PolyU and enrol in the English enhancement subject(s) only after obtaining the result of the RLSA as informed by ELC.

The coursework requirements of individual programmes may vary. You should check with your department or refer to the programme document for individual programme requirements. Approval from your Chief Supervisor must be sought before taking any subjects. For general coursework requirements, please see here. The GPA requirement and calculation of the qualifying GPA can be found here.

Starting from the 2022/23 intake cohort, all RPg students are required to complete the e-Learning module on “Understanding China and the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, PRC" before thesis submission. You will need to pass an assessment and multiple attempts are allowed. For details, please see here.

Confirmation of Registration

You have to confirm your registration before the deadline as stipulated here

The detailed procedures and regulations governing the confirmation of registration can be found here.

Transfer of Registration between MPhil and PhD

You can apply for transfer between MPhil and PhD degrees subject to certain conditions. For details, please see here.

Changing your Mode of Study

You can apply to change your study mode by completing form GSB/45. Depending on the time of application, your periods of study may remain unchanged, shortened or extended on a pro-rata basis. Detailed information can be found here.

Student Development

Yes, this is subject to the availability of funds and approval by the budget owner of your department and your Chief Supervisor. Detailed procedures on how to apply for the trip, leave applications and claim procedures can be found here.
As a full-time research student, you shall devote full-time effort to your programme of study on campus. You should normally be in the University during normal working hours unless you have obtained prior approval to conduct research elsewhere. You shall not take up any employment with the University or any other employers, unless with the prior approval of the University.

As a full-time research student awarded a research stipend, you will receive certain training as assigned by the Head of Department/Dean of School in consultation with the supervisor(s) within your Department/School for not less than 100 hours per year for teaching and professional service. You have to complete the training requirement as a condition of receiving the stipend and are not allowed to fulfil part of the training requirement through the completion of the Practicum credits. You are also required to report the teaching and professional service training in annual progress reports.
Students provided with a stipend or financial assistance under the Teaching Postgraduate Studentship (TPS) Scheme are not allowed to take up any part-time employment unless special approval is granted by the University. Should recipients of stipend/other financial assistance be found to be undertaking/have undertaken part-time work without prior approval of the University, his/her stipend/financial assistance will be suspended immediately.
There is no restriction on the number of times you can attend the conferences as long as you do not spend more than the total amount of the conference grant allocated to you throughout your studies. For details on how to apply for a conference grant, leave applications and reimbursement procedures, please refer to the guidelines here.

Research Student Attachment Programme

Two calls for applications are issued each year, one in March/April and the other in September/October.

PhD Students in any discipline are eligible for application. For PolyU out-going students, please refer to the emails calling for applications. For in-coming students, please contact an academic staff member of PolyU (as your proposed PolyU supervisor) in the first instance to jointly come up with a proposed attachment programme.
Applicants who have applied for the Attachment Programme before can submit new application. However, regardless of the number of trips approved, the financial aid in supporting travel and living expenses will not exceed the aggregate amounts capped at HK$10,000 and HK$45,000, respectively per student (for PolyU outgoing students) and HK$72,000 per student (for incoming students).
Students shall write an email to GS colleague directly with reasons. If the financial support was already granted, you shall refund the University the amount.
Successful outgoing applicants will receive the notice letter from GS which states the details of reimbursement. Three quarters of a lump sum approved by the Approving Authority as subsidies to cover part of the expenses prior to the start of the Attachment Programme will be provided to successful applicants. The remaining amount will be reimbursed on submission of the boarding passes after the Attachment Programme.

Successful incoming applicants will receive payment by cheque. Subsequently, the student shall pick up the cheques from the GS on a monthly basis until his/her departure from Hong Kong or until the funding is exhausted.

Successful applicants will continue to receive stipend and pay tuition fees if applicable.
Yes, prior approval from Chief Supervisor is needed in case of shortening or extending the attachment period. Approval can be sought by email and please keep D/SRC Chair informed in the email. If extending the attachment period, the financial support will not be increased. On the other hand, the financial support will be calculated on a pro-rata basis if shortening the attachment period. If the adjusted period is shorter than 3 months, GS Dean’s prior approval is needed.

Interested students can concurrently apply for the ICRF and RSAP to maximise financial support for a research visit. If both applications are approved, students may be eligible for a fellowship of $55,000 from the ICRF and an allowance of up to $55,000 from the RSAP. This combined support can amount to a maximum of $110,000 for the duration of the visit. The respective regulations of ICRF and RSAP must be followed.

Thesis Submission, Oral Examination and Graduation

When you have fulfilled the residence requirement and coursework requirements of the programme, you can submit a thesis. And the thesis should be submitted before the end of the normal study period. In case you cannot complete your studies within the normal study period, you should seek approval from D/SRC Chair via the Chief Supervisor for entering the maximum study period. Detailed information can be found here.

Please note that respective departments may have different graduation requirements, you are advised to refer to the programme documents for individual programme requirements.

For RPg students admitted from the 2018/19 cohort onwards, please submit the thesis and related documents to the general office of the Department/School; while RPg students admitted in or before the 2017/18 cohort should submit the thesis and related documents to GS via the D/SRC. The detailed guidelines can be found here.
Regarding the detailed examination process, please see here.
The detailed schedule of award ratification and collection schedule of award parchments can be found here.
We provide various official documents for certifying your studies at PolyU, such as a testimonial or a transcript. We also offer certification services. For details, please see here.
You can apply for a Certificate of Award to certify the award you attained at PolyU. Please complete form GSB/31 and pay the fee. Detailed instructions can be found on the application form.

Student Financial Matters

Yes, you need to pay the tuition fee. Even if you manage to have your award approved by the Graduate School Board (GSB) before the end of the normal period of study, you are still required to pay the tuition fee up to the GSB approval date. For details, please see here.
If you fail to submit your thesis by the end of the normal study period, you are required to pay a continuation fee instead of a tuition fee. For details, please see here.
Normally, such requests will not be entertained. If you fail to settle the tuition/continuation fees by the deadline, you will be regarded as having ceased your study. You will only be considered for reinstatement of registration under the exceptional circumstance. Regarding the application procedures, please see here.

Research Equipment Resources and Facilities

Sharing of equipment/facilities amongst academic departments is encouraged. You can find the information on University’s research equipment and facilities here. Please send your request to the general offices of the respective academic departments or the URFs directly if you wish to borrow their equipment or use their facilities.
As long as you are holding a valid student identity card and have paid the tuition/other required fees, you are entitled to the rights and privileges of a full-time or part-time student of the University for the period you register.

Other General Enquiries

For RPg students admitted from the 2018/19 cohort onwards, please approach the AR for a letter in support of your application.

For RPg students admitted on or before the 2017/18 cohort, please approach the GS. Detailed information can be found here.

Yes, unless instructed otherwise, you do not need to submit the form to GS in person. The list of application forms can be found here on the GS website.
Yes, PolyU offers a Group Personal Accident Policy and two travel insurance policies for all registered students going overseas to research-related activities endorsed by the University. You can approach the Finance Office for more details here.
Please follow the guidelines on the quotation of affiliation in publications here.
You are strongly advised to set up your Researcher Profiles to increase your visibility and accessibility of your research output. For details on how to set up your Researcher Profiles, please see here.

Last updated: 21 Dec 2022


Your browser is not the latest version. If you continue to browse our website, Some pages may not function properly.

You are recommended to upgrade to a newer version or switch to a different browser. A list of the web browsers that we support can be found here