- To be a leader in applied language sciences and bilingual China studies in Asia Pacific.
- To offer quality undergraduate and postgraduate programmes in applied language sciences to nurture highly effective, creative and sophisticated professionals who can contribute to the advancement of the professions as well as the communities at large;
- To offer quality undergraduate and postgraduate programmes in China studies and Chinese culture to enable students to have an in-depth understanding of the Chinese culture and to apply their knowledge in the multilingual modern society;
- To offer general education and minor programmes in a wide range of foci from language, culture, history, to philosophy, in order to facilitate students’ better understanding of the nature and cultures of human beings as well as the issues our generation faces;
- To offer language and general education subjects to form the anchor of the University’s general education in order to enhance language ability, as well as skills in extensive reading, writing and critical thinking of the student population in general;
- To conduct research which underpins the language and culture foci of our undergraduate and postgraduate programmes and advances our knowledge of language sciences and cultures, especially in the context of our increasingly digital society;
- To seek opportunities to provide professional and research-led consultancy services to Hong Kong, as well as national and international communities.