Skip to main content Start main content

Exchange Students

FAQ (For Exchange Students)

If you are from one of the PolyU's exchange partners and have been nominated by your university as an exchange student, you are considered as an exchange student. Please contact the Exchange Coordinator of your home university to confirm your eligibility for scholarship nomination. Otherwise, you are considered as a fee-paying student.

For students from PolyU Exchange Partners:

  • your English requirement is waived.

For students from Non-PolyU Exchange Partners, you need to meet one of the following requirements:

  • TOEFL score of 80 (internet-based); or
  • IELTS overall score of 6.0; or
  • JEE English [內地應屆高考(英文科)] of 110 (out of 150); or
  • your English requirement can be waived if you have attained Grade C in GCSE / IGCSE / GCEOL English or Grade 4 in English at International Baccalaureate (IB)
You are advised to buy the air tickets only after confirming the offer and receiving your student visa.
All exchange students must stay at the student hostel.
To encourage cultural exchange, you will be assigned a roommate on a random basis.

You must inform the Student Halls ( and the International Summer School ( at least two days in advance. If you have to check in after 10 pm, the Halls will send you a confirmation email acknowledging your late arrival and arrange a Temporary Smartcard for you. You can collect the Smartcard at the Campus Facilities and Sustainability Office (CFSO) next to the car park entrance of Homantin Halls on Ground Floor.

No, a set of bedding including a pillow, a pillow case, a bed cover sheet and a summer quilt will be provided to you.

For more information about the Students Halls, please click here.

You are advised to check out as scheduled since there may be make-up classes / examinations. If it is necessary for you to do so, please make sure you have finished all assessments and examinations of your registered subject before your departure.

You can take up to one subject.

If you wish to earn credits from the International Summer School subjects, please contact the appropriate academic authorities of your home university in advance. You are strongly advised to do this before applying for the International Summer School. Each subject carries three PolyU credits.

Before the International Summer School starts:

You can submit your application for change of subject via email to the International Summer School (email address: Your application will be considered subject to vacancy and on a first-come, first-served basis.

During the International Summer School period:

You can only change your subject during the add / drop period of the International Summer School, subject to vacancy and on a first-come, first-served basis.

Yes, students shall attend all classes and an examination and fulfill the assessment requirements as stipulated as required by the subject.

Yes, all participants, except those who have the right of abode in Hong Kong, must apply for a Hong Kong student visa.

Yes, you will be responsible for your own medical and dental costs during the programme period. Hence, you are required to enrol in an appropriate insurance scheme which covers your stay in Hong Kong and the whole travel period.

Please ensure your scheme covers the following:
1. Medical expenses (including out-patient, hospital expenses and accidents)
2. Personal accident (as the result of any illness, injury, disability or accident)
3. Personal liability covering the legal liability for causing the death or injury of a third party or property damage due to negligence
4. Emergency medical evacuation and repatriation of remains (due to accident / illness / other causes)
5. Travel delays / cancellations, loss / theft of personal belongings etc.
6. The insurance policy should cover the entire period with the start date and end date matching your flight departure / return arrival dates.

It is advisable that you take out an additional travel insurance for covering travel / flight delays, theft of personal belongings and medical and health issues arising from injury or sudden illness abroad. Please check with your travel agent for travel insurance options.

PolyU cannot be held responsible if you purchase an inadequate insurance policy.

Yes, you can do so, but please pay attention to the Hong Kong visa requirement and accommodation arrangement during your additional stay in Hong Kong.

The student visa issued by the Hong Kong Immigration Department (ImmD) usually covers the duration of the International Summer School and its actual validity will be subject to the sole decision of the Hong Kong Immigration Department (ImmD). You are responsible for arranging and obtaining any visa needed for your leisure visit in Hong Kong, as well as the transition between your visit visa and student visa.

PolyU Student Halls of Residence will only be arranged for non-local students during the International Summer School. You are required to arrange your own accommodation during the additional stay period in Hong Kong.

Your browser is not the latest version. If you continue to browse our website, Some pages may not function properly.

You are recommended to upgrade to a newer version or switch to a different browser. A list of the web browsers that we support can be found here