Skip to main content Start main content

Three PAIR projects awarded Research Impact Fund to deliver innovations for a sustainable community

20 Jan 2023

Three research projects led by scholars at the PolyU Academy for Interdisciplinary Research (PAIR) have been awarded the Research Impact Fund (RIF) 2022/23 by the Research Grants Council, with a total grant value of HK$14.35 million. Thirteen projects were supported by RIF in this exercise. PolyU was awarded a total funding of HK$27.55 million for five projects, topping local universities in terms of the number of funded projects.



Project Coordinator

Budget to be funded by the RGC* (HKD)

A novel approach to target cancer stemness using peptidic chimeric antigen receptor (pCAR) macrophages

New scientific knowledge for a novel therapeutic strategy against liver cancer stem cells for hepatocellular carcinoma

Prof. LEE Kin-wah Terence

Member of Research Centre for Chinese Medicine Innovation (RCMI)

(in collaboration with HKU)


Flexible and Stretchable Batteries for Wearable Applications

For wearable technologies, smart electronic textiles, electronic skins, soft robotics, bioelectronics and the Internet of Things

Prof. ZHENG Zijian

Associate Director of Research Institute for Intelligent Wearable Systems (RI-IWEAR)

(in collaboration with CityU and CUHK)


Next Generation of In-situ Precision Three-dimensional Surface Metrology: A Smart Self-adaptive Multiscopic Approach for Industrial 4.0

The project attempts to research and develop a customizable smart SAMS system for in-situ precision 3D surface measurement under different manufacturing environments and applications for lasting impact on the advancement of measurement science and technology ready for Industry 4.0.

Prof. Benny C.F. CHEUNG

Associate Director of Research Centre for SMART Vision (RCSV)

and Management Committee Member of Research Centre for Resources Engineering towards Carbon Neutrality (RCRE)

(in collaboration with HKU)


*The RGC funds 70% of the project cost while university / organisational partner(s) will match the remaining 30% of the project cost.

Further reading:

Your browser is not the latest version. If you continue to browse our website, Some pages may not function properly.

You are recommended to upgrade to a newer version or switch to a different browser. A list of the web browsers that we support can be found here