Skip to main content Start main content

Happy Retirement

Retirement may bring about changes in different aspects, and it can give rise to an enjoyable new chapter of life. This section serves to provide some tips and information for retirees as well as those who are interested in planning ahead for retirement.

PolyU Information

1. The Institute of Active Ageing (IAA)

IAA, operating since September 2009, is committed to research excellence and innovation in the key areas of ageing, interdisciplinary education related to gerontology, and evidence-based practices for the promotion of active ageing. It promotes active ageing by encompassing knowledge from all fundamental dimensions of the everyday life of an older adult. For more information, please visit its website.

2. Health Care

The insurer of the University's Staff Medical Benefit Scheme (the Scheme) offers self-pay medical plans to Scheme Members upon their retirement or prior to their reaching the maximum enrolment age of respective medical plan.

For more information of the self-pay medical plans, e.g., maximum enrolment age, application deadline and procedures, please refer to the HRO webpage on these plans.

3. Employee Assistance Programme (EAP)

The University has appointed the Employee Development Service of the Hong Kong Christian Service (HKCS) as provider of EAP services to help full-time staff members cope with work/life issues. Full-time staff members in need can obtain advice and information that facilitate their retirement planning.

More information about EAP is available here and some slides from HKCS about retirement planning are available here.

24-hour telephone hotline: 2721 3939

4. Benefits for Long Serving Retirees (and Spouse)
Holders of Long Serving Retiree's Card and Long Serving Retiree's Spouse Card can enjoy medical and dental services, and where applicable, IT services, as well as the use of library services, sports facilities, car parking facilities, etc. If Long Serving Retiree's Spouse chooses to opt for medical and/or dental benefits, the benefits opted should follow Long Serving Retiree's benefits choice. More details can be found here. Card holder may apply for renewal of Long Serving Retiree's Card / Long Serving Retiree's Spouse Card by completing the appropriate renewal form (normal retirement [Annex]/early retirement [Annex]) and send the completed form to HRO for processing one month before card expiry. No individual reminder on card renewal will be issued. The provision of the cards and benefits is at the discretion of the University and the University reserves the right to withdraw the provision of such cards and benefits at any time as deemed appropriate.

Public Information

The Hong Kong Government provides various tips and services that help a smooth transition to retirement and enjoyment of the new life. For general information, please visit the GovHK website. Some specific services for senior citizens are as follows:

1. Social Services and Benefits for the Elderly

The Government provides a wide variety of social services and benefits to the elders, including Community Care and Support Services, Residential Care Services and Social Security. More information can be found here.

2. Elderly Health Service

The elderly may have specific health concerns. For services and information, please visit the website of the Elderly Health Service under the Department of Health of the Government.

3. Housing for the Elderly

The Hong Kong Housing Authority and the Hong Kong Housing Society offer different types of public housing subsidies to the elderly to address their housing needs. More information can be found here.



Source of photos: Institute of Active Ageing

Please put at least one valid content allocate to this component.

Please put at least one valid content allocate to this component.

Please put at least one valid content allocate to this component.

Your browser is not the latest version. If you continue to browse our website, Some pages may not function properly.

You are recommended to upgrade to a newer version or switch to a different browser. A list of the web browsers that we support can be found here