Master of Arts in Chinese Culture
Entrance Year Sept 2022
Programme Code 77002
Aims and Characteristics
The MA in Chinese Culture is a student-oriented programme with advanced courses of study focusing on Chinese culture. It offers students a methodological foundation for studying Chinese culture as well as a wide range of courses in different areas of Chinese culture to address their needs and interests and to maximise the benefits of their learning.
The programme aims to:
- develop and extend students’ knowledge of key aspects of Chinese culture;
- deepen students’ understanding of Chinese culture;
- enhance students’ appreciation of Chinese culture;
- broaden students’ knowledge of cultural heritage and its management in China; and
- build a foundation for students’ further research on Chinese culture and teaching Chinese culture in schools.
Upon the successful completion of the programme, students should possess the following:
(1) Professional competence equipping them to become specialists in/leaders of a discipline/profession.
They should be able to:
- appreciate the relevance of Chinese thought and values to the modern world in their daily lives;
- demonstrate a sound knowledge of the roots and development of Chinese culture;
- express a deep understanding and appreciation of the forms and spirit of Chinese culture; and
- understand the importance of cultural heritage;
(2) Strategic thinking
- be able to integrate discrete domains of knowledge for analysis and to formulate actions to solve problems, conduct independent research and think holistically;
(3) Lifelong learning capability
- develop an interest in Chinese culture and gain the skills needed to explore the complexity of Chinese culture on their own.