Academic advising at PolyU
Academic advising at PolyU aims to help students to make informed and intelligent academic decisions/choices about their study at PolyU that suit their intellectual, professional and personal goals. It is instrumental to promoting student success, and plays a vital role in enhancing students’ overall learning experience at PolyU.
Departmental Academic Advising System
The Department of RS has been implementing the personal tutor system for all undergraduate students. To integrate with the University’s academic advising system under the four-year undergraduate degree structure from 2012/13, RS has implemented a departmental-based academic advising system for all students admitted under the 4-year undergraduate curriculum structure.
Each full-time undergraduate student will be assigned to one full-time academic staff who will act as his/her academic advisor throughout his/her course of study at PolyU. With implementation of one-tier academic advising system from 2022/23, the departmental academic advisors will provide academic advising to students on the curriculum on both discipline specified requirements (DSR) and general university requirements (GUR), study plan, university life issues, etc.
Students will be informed of the academic advising system and their academic advisors at the orientation for freshmen at the beginning of the first year of study, Besides, they may find the information of their academic advisors at eStudent.
Academic advisors and student advisees will keep in contact regularly via emails, phones, or other means, and they should meet at least once per semester, either individually or in small groups on face-to-face/online mode.
Roles and responsibilities of the academic advisors
- Build rapport with the students.
- Be accessible, available and responsive.
- Help students to clarify their intellectual, professional and personal goals.
- Help students to develop an appropriate study plan.
- Alert students to academic regulations and requirements, particularly those relating to one’s Major.
- Provide early identification of students with special learning needs or signs of learning problems and making necessary referrals.
- Take personal responsibility for their academic decisions, plans and outcomes.
- Get familiar with the academic advising policies, resources and infrastructure at PolyU.
- Understand their Major/Minor requirements and the GUR and monitor their progress with reference to the graduation requirements.
- Develop a study plan which enables the student to complete his/her undergraduate degree at PolyU.
- Attend academic advising sessions offered by the Department and.
- Be prepared for academic advising. Understand his/her academic progress before meeting his/her academic advisor.
- If students have any questions regarding their academic study, they should raise them at the academic advising meetings.
- Have an open mind and be ready to seriously consider the advice given by teachers, academic advisors and other staff.
- Check PolyU e-mail box at least once per day in order not to miss any important messages from the academic advisors.
- Visit the Departmental academic advising website and the Office of Undergraduate Studies website at least once a semester for updates and new information.
- Seek help as early as possible. It is a sign of courage.
- Enjoy your academic advising experience at PolyU.
Quick Links for Students: