Students admitted to the Joint PhD Programmes Leading to Dual Awards or the Collaborative PhD Training Programmes should read through this Appendix along with the Research Postgraduate Student Handbook. Different partner institutions have different requirements in various aspects of the programmes. General terms are provided below. Specific requirements of each programme can be found in this Appendix by clicking the name of the partner institutions. Ownership of any intellectual property developed under Joint PhD Programmes Leading to Dual Awards or the Collaborative PhD Training Programme shall be vested jointly in both institutions in equal shares.
Joint PhD Programmes Leading to Dual Awards
Normally, Joint PhD students will:
- receive a monthly stipend while based at PolyU, subject to funding availability. The prevailing monthly stipend in PolyU is HK$18,100 and it is subject to review annually. Conference grant will be provided with up to HK$25,000.
- be required to pay the relevant fees, for example, examination fee should be paid upon thesis submission, and in general students failing to submit their thesis by the end of the normal study period will be required to pay a continuation fee at PolyU on a semester/term basis until submission of thesis.
- be treated the same as regular research students in terms of student support services.
Tuition fee & funding support for incoming joint PhD students
Incoming students from partner institutions in the Chinese Mainland will pay tuition fee to PolyU during their stay.
Incoming students from overseas partner institutions will pay tuition fee to their home institution according to the institutional agreement.
Tuition fee & funding support for PolyU outgoing joint PhD students (to overseas partner institutions only)
Outgoing students to the overseas partner institutions will be required to pay the annual tuition fees to PolyU during their studies at the partner institution.
Stipends will be temporarily suspended while outgoing students are based at the partner institution, PolyU will provide them with the following financial support. Students can submit the financial claim form (download here) to GS for processing.
- A monthly allowance of HK$5,000, capped at HK$30,000 (for students visited the partner institutions before 22 March 2022)
or A monthly allowance of HK$7,500, capped at HK$45,000 (for students visited the partner institutions on or after 22 March 2022); and
- Irrespective of the number of trips to be taken, travel expenses will be supported based on the actual amount spent on going to and returning from the Partner Institution once only and will be capped at HK$10,000;
- Financial support for medical coverage and/or settlement arrangements capped at HK$5,000.
Collaborative PhD Training Programme
Normally, partner institutions will provide a studentship to each student in Collaborative PhD Training Programme during his/her residence at PolyU. The prevailing monthly stipend in PolyU is HK$18,100 and it is subject to review annually.
- be required to pay the tuition fees as required by the two institutions during their period of study there.
- be required to pay other relevant fees, for example, an examination fee should be paid upon thesis submission. In general, students failing to submit their thesis by the end of the normal study period will be required to pay a continuation fee at PolyU on a semester/term basis until submission of thesis.
- be able to use Conference Grant† provided by PolyU during their studies on condition that they must adhere to the prevailing regulations governing the use of Conference Grant.
- be treated the same as regular research students in terms of student support services provided by PolyU.
†Each RPg student will be provided with up to HK$25,000.
List of Partner Institutions for Joint PhD Programmes Leading to Dual Awards
- Harbin Institute of Technology
- Huazhong University of Science and Technology
- Nanjing University
- Nankai University
- Northeastern University
- Northwestern Polytechnical University
- Queensland University of Technology
- Sichuan University – IDMR
- Sichuan University - Non-IDMR
- South China University of Technology
- Southeast University
- Southern University of Science and Technology
- Tongji University
- University of Calgary
- University of Surrey - for the field of Hospitality and tourism management only
- University of Technology, Sydney
- Wuhan University
- Xi'an Jiaotong University
- Zhejiang University
List of Partner Institutions for Collaborative PhD Training Programmes
- EIT Institute for Advanced Study
- Shenzhen Institute of Advanced Technology,Chinese Academy of Sciences
- Shenzhen University - for the field of Applied Mathematics only
- Songshan Lake Materials Laboratory
- Southern Marine Science and Engineering Guangdong Laboratory (Zhuhai)
- Southern University of Science and Technology