Students admitted to the Dual PhD Degree Programmes or the Collaborative PhD Training Programmes should read through this Appendix along with the Research Postgraduate Student Handbook. Different partner institutions have different requirements in various aspects of the programmes. General terms are provided below. Specific requirements of each programme can be found in this Appendix by clicking the name of the partner institutions. Ownership of any intellectual property developed under Dual PhD Degree Programmes or the Collaborative PhD Training Programme shall be vested jointly in both institutions in equal shares.
Dual PhD Degree Programmes
Normally, Dual PhD students will:
- receive a monthly stipend while based at PolyU, subject to funding availability. The stipend shall initially be fixed at a rate applicable to the year of admission and will be subject to review and adjust.
- be able to use Conference Grant provided by PolyU. Details are available here
- be required to pay the relevant fees, for example, examination fee should be paid upon thesis submission. In general students failing to submit their thesis by the end of the normal study period will be required to pay a continuation fee at PolyU on a semester/term basis until submission of thesis.
- be treated the same as regular research students in terms of student support services.
Tuition fee for incoming Dual PhD students
Incoming students from partner institutions in the Chinese Mainland will pay tuition fee to PolyU during their stay.
Incoming students from overseas partner institutions will pay tuition fee to their home institution according to the institutional agreement.
Tuition fee & funding support for PolyU outgoing Dual PhD students (to overseas partner institutions only)
Outgoing students to the overseas partner institutions will be required to pay the annual tuition fees to PolyU during their studies at the partner institution.
Stipends will be temporarily suspended while outgoing students are based at the partner institution, PolyU will provide them with the following financial support. Students can submit the financial claim form (download here) to GS for processing.
- A monthly allowance of HK$5,000, capped at HK$30,000 (for students visited the partner institutions before 22 March 2022)
or A monthly allowance of HK$7,500, capped at HK$45,000 (for students visited the partner institutions on or after 22 March 2022); and
- Irrespective of the number of trips to be taken, travel expenses will be supported based on the actual amount spent on going to and returning from the Partner Institution once only and will be capped at HK$10,000;
- Financial support for medical coverage and/or settlement arrangements capped at HK$5,000.
Collaborative PhD Training Programme
Partner institutions will provide a studentship to each student in Collaborative PhD Training Programme during his/her residence at PolyU. The stipend shall initially be fixed at a rate applicable to the year of admission and will be subject to review and adjust.
- be required to pay the tuition fees as required by the two institutions during their period of study there.
- be able to use Conference Grant provided by PolyU. Details are available here.
- be required to pay other relevant fees, for example, an examination fee should be paid upon thesis submission. In general, students failing to submit their thesis by the end of the normal study period will be required to pay a continuation fee at PolyU on a semester/term basis until submission of thesis.
- be treated the same as regular research students in terms of student support services provided by PolyU.
List of Partner Institutions for Dual PhD Degree Programmes
- East China Normal University
- Harbin Institute of Technology
- Huazhong University of Science and Technology
- Nanjing University
- Nankai University
- Northwestern Polytechnical University
- Queensland University of Technology
- Sichuan University – IDMR
- Sichuan University - Non-IDMR
- South China University of Technology
- Southeast University
- Southern University of Science and Technology
- Tongji University
- Tianjin University
- University of Calgary
- University of Surrey - for the field of Hospitality and tourism management only
- University of Technology, Sydney
- Wuhan University
- Xi'an Jiaotong University
- Zhejiang University
List of Partner Institutions for Collaborative PhD Training Programmes
- EIT Institute for Advanced Study
- Peng Cheng Laboratory
- Shenzhen Institute of Advanced Technology,Chinese Academy of Sciences
- Shenzhen University - for the field of Applied Mathematics only
- Songshan Lake Materials Laboratory
- Southern Marine Science and Engineering Guangdong Laboratory (Zhuhai)
- Southern University of Science and Technology