Non-local Applicants
Taught Postgraduate

PolyU welcomes applications from non-Hong Kong residents. Many students from different parts of the globe have joined PolyU and studied its taught postgraduate programmes.


If you are holding one of the following visas/permits, you are regarded as a "non-local student" for the purpose of admission to our programmes:


  • Student visa/entry permit;
  • Visa/entry permit under the Immigration Arrangements for Non-local Graduates (IANG); or
  • Dependant visa/entry permit for those who are aged 18 or above at the time of issuance of the dependant visa/entry permit by the Director of Immigration.


Non-local students enrolling in part-time postgraduate studies at PolyU will likely be issued a short-term multiple-entry student visa. If students only possess a visitor or tourist visa, the University can neither register them as a student nor allow them to commence study until a student visa is obtained.


If you are holding a valid work permit, you are not required to have a student visa for undertaking a part-time programme. Normally, you will not be considered for admission to a full-time programme.


Please click here on how to apply for a student visa.


Non-local students should ensure that you have adequate funds for tuition fees, accommodation and other expenses, including medical insurance, before accepting the offer to study at PolyU. Students holding a student visa and studying in a full-time programme at degree level or above with a study period of not less than one academic year will be allowed to take up: 1) a study-/curriculum-related internship, and 2) part-time on-campus employment or summer job. These are subject to the conditions as stipulated by the Immigration Department of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region. Please refer to the Student Handbook posted on the website of the Academic Registry ( for more details.


Non-local taught postgraduate students must arrange their own accommodation in Hong Kong. Given the central location of our University, students living off campus can still travel to the main campus conveniently. Details can be found here, with information accessible after you have obtained your NetID and NetPassword. Details on visa applications, immigration regulations, healthcare, cost of living and other non-academic matters will be provided to you separately if you are offered admission to our programmes. Please contact NLSST at sends e-mail) if you have inquiries.