Where does PolyU’s signature red brick architecture come from?
Recently, PolyU was named as "Hong Kong's underrated modern landmark" by ZOLIMA CITYMAG. While the red brick architecture on PolyU campus is no stranger to many people, but what is the story behind its construction? Back in the 1930s, the University’s forerunner, the Government Trade School’s campus was in Wan Chai. Renamed as the Hong Kong Technical College in 1947, it moved to the present Hung Hom site in 1957.
With the formal establishment of the Hong Kong Polytechnic in 1972, a team led by architect James Kinoshita at Palmer & Turner came up with the distinctive red brick design for the first phase of the campus development plan. The design resembled the red brick architecture style of traditional English and American universities. In addition, many buildings were raised one floor above the podium, creating sheltered open-air spaces for multi-purposes. Four decades on, despite various campus expansion projects, red bricks are still very much what defines the visual identity of PolyU today. Details>>
You may also like
Scholars honoured with commemorative medals by the nation
At the 70th anniversary of the founding of the People's Republic of China, PolyU researchers, including President Prof. Jin-Guang Teng, as well as Prof. Shi Wen-zhong and Prof. Li Zhi-lin from the Department of Land Surveying and Geo-Informatics, and...
Alumni rendezvous in Shanghai
President Prof. Jin-Guang Teng and Executive Vice President Dr Miranda Lou gathered with over a hundred alumni and friends in Shanghai, including representatives of the PolyU Beijing Alumni Network and Shanghai Alumni Network. At the occasion,...
Four consecutive wins in enhancing occupational safety and health
For the fourth consecutive year, PolyU was honoured with the Hong Kong Occupational Safety and Health Award. Among the 500 project submissions this year, the University won the Safety Performance Award (other industries category) and Safety Promotion...