Bachelor of Science (Hons) Degree in Artificial Intelligence and Information Engineering
Entrance Year Sept 2023
Programme Code 42481-AIE
Stream Code 42481-AIE
Mode of Study Full-time
Normal Duration 4 years
Programme Intake 68 (for the whole scheme)
Fund Type Government-Funded
Credits Required for Graduation 124 (plus training credits)
Dr Bonnie Law
BEng, PhD, SrMIEEE
- The credit requirements of the programme are indicative only. They are subject to review.
- Students can take a number of extra electives to earn a Minor Award in areas such as applied mathematics, accountancy, business, finance or management, among others.
- To give encouragement and recognition to HKDSE students with outstanding academic performance, and to support their studies at The Hong Kong Polytechnic University (PolyU), the Department of Electronic and Information Engineering (EIE) at PolyU launched the “EIE Academic Entrance Scholarship for Outstanding HKDSE Admittees” in the 2016-17 academic year. Details of the scholarship are given in the information sheet, which can be viewed here.
Aims and Characteristics
Following the rapid expansion and dissemination of information and smart communication technologies in our daily life, professionals in the areas of information engineering and artificial intelligence are in great demand. This programme aims at developing students into artificial intelligence specialists and professionals in information engineering. The programme covers technological innovations in artificial intelligence and information engineering, focusing on machine perception and data science. Specifically, the programme aims at producing graduates with the following attributes:
- a wide range of professional knowledge and skills relevant to Artificial Intelligence and Information Engineering. These include technological innovations in artificial intelligence and information engineering, focusing on machine perception and data science, as well as applications related to information engineering, such as computer vision, healthcare technology, bioinformatics, natural language processing, and automatics robotics,
- creativity and innovation,
- adaptability to changing technology and society, and
- all-rounded attributes.
Programme Characteristics and Intended Learning Outcomes
The Programme offers a good mix of basic theory, hands-on practice and application examples. In the latter part of Year Three, students make use of the knowledge that they have acquired to conduct an artificial intelligence-based Integrated Project. They can focus on selected areas by choosing relevant electives. In the Final Year, students must complete a Capstone Project.
Students can join an exchange programme that allows them to study in an overseas institution for one semester. Financial subsidies may be provided by the Faculty of Engineering. The exchange programme offers an excellent opportunity for students to study abroad and broaden their horizons and allows them to appreciate the cultures of other countries.
On successful completion of the Programme, students will be able to:
Category A Professional/Academic Knowledge and Skills
1. Understand the fundamentals of mathematics, science and engineering, and have the ability to apply them.
2. Design and conduct experiments, as well as to evaluate the outcomes.
3. Design systems, components and processes to meet given specifications and constraints.
4. Identify, formulate and solve problems relevant to artificial intelligence and information engineering.
5. Use modern engineering/IT tools appropriate to artificial intelligence and information engineering.
6. Know the contemporary issues and understand the impact of engineering solutions in a global and societal context.
Category B Attributes for All-roundedness
7. Work with others collaboratively in a multi-disciplinary team and have a knowledge of leadership.
8. Recognize social, professional and ethical responsibility.
9. Communicate effectively.
10. Recognize the need for and engage in life-long learning.
Electronic Music: The Impact of Technology on Digital Lifestyle (View the Introductory Video here)
|EIE1D03||Artificial Intelligence and Science Fiction|
|EIE1D04||Cyber Security Essentials|
|EIE1005||Fundamental AI and Data Analytics|
|EIE2S02||Promoting Digital Literacy in Developing Societies|
|EIE1005||Fundamental AI and Data Analytics|
|Undergraduate Programme Subjects|
|EIE1003||Foundations of Data Science|
|EIE1004||Introduction to Information and Artificial Intelligence Engineering|
|EIE2100||Basic Circuit Analysis|
|EIE2101||Basic Circuit Analysis|
|EIE2105||Digital and Computer Systems|
|EIE2108||Fundamentals of Internet and Multimedia Technologies|
|EIE2110||Basic Circuit Analysis and Electronics|
|EIE2112||Foundation Techniques in Artificial Intelligence|
|EIE2113||Introduction to Internet of Things|
|EIE2302||Electricity and Electronics|
|EIE2901/IC2114||Industrial Centre Training I for EIE|
|EIE2902/IC2115||Industrial Centre Training for EIE|
|EIE3100||Analogue Circuit Fundamentals|
||Computer Animation (View the Introductory Video here)
|EIE3103||Digital Signals and Systems|
|EIE3109||Mobile Systems and Application Development|
|EIE3120||Network Technologies and Security|
|EIE3123||Dynamic Electronic Systems|
|EIE3124||Fundamentals of Machine Intelligence|
|EIE3127||Artificial Intelligence of Things|
|EIE3305||Integrated Analogue and Digital Circuits|
|EIE3311||Computer System Fundamentals|
||Object-Oriented Design and Programming (View the Introductory Video here)
|EIE3333||Data and Computer Communications|
|EIE3343||Computer Systems Principles|
|EIE3373||Microcontroller Systems and Interface|
|EIE3901/IC382||Multidisciplinary Manufacturing Project|
|EIE4100||Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition|
|EIE4105||Multimodal Human Computer Interaction Technology|
|EIE4106||Network Management and Security (View the Introductory Video here)
|Distributed Systems and Cloud Computing (View the Introductory Video here)
|EIE4110||Introduction to VLSI and Computer-Aided Circuit Design|
|EIE4113||Wireless and Mobile Systems|
|EIE4114||Digital Forensics for Crime Investigation|
|EIE4116||Surveillance Studies and Technologies|
|Intrusion Detection and Penetration Test (View the Introductory Video here)
||Mobile Device System Architecture (View the Introductory Video here)
|EIE4121||Machine Learning in Cyber-security|
||Deep Learning and Deep Neural Networks (View the Introductory Video here)
||Power Conversion Technology for Energy Harvesting|
|Power Electronics (View the Introductory Video here)
|EIE4413||Digital Signal Processing (View the Introductory Video here)|
|EIE4431||Digital Video Production and Broadcasting|
||Web Systems and Technologies (View the Introductory Video here)
|EIE4435||Image and Audio Processing|
|Optical Communication Systems and Networks (View the Introductory Video here)
|Satellite Communications - Technology and Applications (View the Introductory Video here)
|EIE511||VLSI System Design|
|EIE515||Advanced Optical Communication Systems|
|EIE522||Pattern Recognition: Theory & Applications|
|EIE529||Digital Image Processing|
|Video Technology (View the Introductory Video here)
|EIE553||Security in Data Communication (View the Introductory Video here)
|EIE557||Computational Intelligence and its Applications|
|Speech Processing and Recognition
(View the Introductory Video here)
||Microelectronics Processing and Technologies|
|EIE563||Digital Audio Processing|
|Wireless Power Transfer Technologies (View the Introductory Video here)
|IoT - Tools and Applications (View the Introductory Video here)
|Sensor Networks (View the Introductory Video here)
||Deep Learning with Photonics|
||Photonic System Analysis|
||Mobile Edge Computing|
|EIE575||Vehicular Communications and Inter-Networking Technologies (View the Introductory Video here)
|EIE579||Advanced Telecommunication Systems|
|EIE580||RF and Microwave Integrated Circuits for Communication System Applications|
|Channel Coding (View the Introductory Video here)
|EIE589||Wireless Data Network|
|EIE6200||Methodology for Engineering and Scientific Research|
|EIE6207||Theoretical Fundamental and Engineering Approaches for Intelligent Signal and Information Processing|
|EIE6811-EIE6813||Guided Study in Electronic and Information Engineering I/II/III|
|EIE621-EIE623||Special Topics in Electronic and Information Engineering I/II/III|
Note: The subject syllabi contained in this website are subject to review and changes from time to time. The Department of Electronic and Information Engineering reserves the right to revise or withdraw the offer of any subject contained in this website.