Non-local Applicants
Research Postgraduate

PolyU welcomes applications from quality candidates from around the world.  At present, we have students of various nationalities including Africa, North America, Europe and Southeast Asia.  We also have many students from the Chinese Mainland.


If you are holding one of the following visas/permits, you are regarded as a "non-local student” for the purpose of admission to our programmes:


  • Student visa/entry permit;

  • Visa under the Immigration Arrangements for Non-local Graduates (IANG); or

  • Dependant visa/entry permit holders, who were aged 18 years old or above when they were issued with such visa/entry permit issued by the Director of Immigration.


All non-local students must obtain a student visa to study in Hong Kong.  If you only possess a visitor or tourist visa, we can neither register you as a student nor allow you to commence your studies until a student visa is obtained.  Therefore, you should not travel to Hong Kong without a valid student visa.


Upon admission, you will find more information on how to apply for a student visa in your Notice of Offer via eAdmission.  PolyU will sponsor your application for a student visa and provide relevant assistance.  As it may take at least 6 weeks (even a longer time during the summer peak season) for the Immigration Department of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) to process your student visa application, you are strongly advised to submit your application as soon as you have received either an offer or a conditional offer of admission from PolyU.  Please note that the Immigration Department may not accept student visa applications from certain nationals.  Please click here to visit the Immigration Department’s website.


You will be informed of the details of visa applications, immigration regulations, health care, cost of living and other non-academic matters of concern to non-local students if you are offered admission to our programmes.


Non-local students are not eligible for HKSAR Government grants and loans.  You should therefore ensure that you have sufficient funds for tuition fees, accommodation and other expenses, including medical insurance before enrolling in a study programme at PolyU.


According to the Hong Kong Immigration Policy, non-local students enrolled in full-time locally accredited programmes at undergraduate level or above are allowed to take up internships, part-time on-campus employment and summer jobs.  Please click here to view the Immigration Policy on Study.  However, research students receiving scholarship/fellowship or financial assistance from the University are not allowed to take up any employment without prior approval.


Full-time research students are eligible to apply for accommodation in PolyU's Student Halls of Residence, subject to availability.  Please click here for details of Halls of Residence accommodation.


The University is facing an acute shortage of hall places.  Full-time students within the normal study period are eligible for about one year of residence (from the check-in date to the end of the 12th month) in University-managed accommodation (including the Student Halls and off-campus housing), subject to availability.  They can make alternative accommodation arrangements if necessary.  Please click here for more information.