Hall Fees (Undergraduate Students)
1. Fee Types
A) Hall Lodging Fee
- The Hall lodging fee for the residential year 2021/22 covers the period from 27 Aug. 2021 to 3 Jun. 2022, payable in two instalments, respectively for the residential period in the first and the second semester.
- There will be NO refund of Hall lodging fee for late check-in during the first 2 weeks or early departure during the last 2 months of the residential year.
- Lodging Fee:
PolyU endeavours to provide safe, supportive and interactive residential communities to students and this involves high operating and management costs. With the need to cover the rise in the expenditure, the hall lodging fees for the Residential Year 2021/22 should be upwardly adjusted by 2.4% with reference to the annual composite CPI of the previous financial year. However, in view of the economic downturn resulting from the COVID-19 pandemic, the University has decided to postpone the 2.4% upward adjustment of the hall lodging fees to the Residential Year of 2022/23. The postponed adjustment of 2.4% would be added on top of the adjustment of hall lodging fees for the Residential Year of 2022/23, subject to the final decision of the University nearer the time.
Hung Hom Halls and Homantin Halls: The daily rate for the residential year 2021/22 (as a result of postponement of 2.4% upward adjustment): $46.5 ($13,066.5 for the whole period) for both double and triple rooms (triple rooms are only available in Homantin Halls).
B) Hall Caution Money ($500)
- All students are required to pay the Hall Caution Money upon the acceptance of the offer of hall residence.
- It will be forfeited if (i) the student fails to settle the first instalment of hall fee before hall residence, or (ii) if the student cancels his/her hall application before check-in.
- It is refundable upon official withdrawal from or termination of hall residence, subject to no claim on hall residence or other outstanding hall related charges. Any residual amount of the Hall Caution Money after deduction will be refunded to the student in due course.
C) Hall Function Fee ($150 per semester)
- Payable in two instalments (covering the residential period of the first and the second semester respectively), the Hall Function Fee is used for various hall education programmes and is non-refundable irrespective of whether the resident attends the programmes or not.
- It is non-refundable if a student has resided more than 2 weeks within a semester. It can be exempted if the student checks in within the last 2 weeks of a semester.
2. Payment Schedule
To confirm their acceptance of the offer of hall residence, students should pay the Hall Fees, comprising Hall Function Fee and Hall Lodging Fee for the first semester, as well as Hall Caution Money. Those who fail to settle the Hall Fees on or before the due date will have their hall application disqualified. Hall Function Fee and Hall Lodging Fee for the second semester will usually be collected in November of each year.
In case a student withdraws his/her hall offer before check-in, he/she should immediately inform the Hall Administration by email. He/She is still liable to pay the Hall Cancellation Fee of $500, the lodging fee incurred up to the date of notification, and the Hall Function Fee of the first semester if the notification is given 2 weeks after the expected check-in date.
3. Payment Means
Please refer to the Finance Office here for details of payment methods either in or outside Hong Kong.
4. Deferred Payment of Hall Fees
Students should make sure that they are able to settle the hall fees before commencement of hall residence. Deferred payment of Hall Fees will not be entertained unless with very sound and valid justification.
5. Non-payment of Hall Fees
As a standing practice, the Hall Administration will send a reminder via email to all students before the Last Date of Payment (LDP) of the hall fees concerned. Students who fail to settle the hall fees by this LDP will be subject to the following disciplinary actions.
|Overdue date after LDP||Disciplinary Actions|
|1 week after LDP||
|3 weeks after LDP||
|5 weeks after LDP||
Students with the third debit note outstanding* will have their hall residence terminated with immediate effect as stipulated in Hall Regulations and they will be requested to check out from the Halls within 7 days.
*As stipulated in the PolyU Student Handbook, “the University reserves the right to withhold the issuance of an award parchment or any certification of study to a student who has unsettled matters with the University”.
6. Cancellation & Withdrawal from Hall Residence
A) Students are required to provide their bank account number in “Student Account Information” to expedite the refund process. According to Students’ Handbook, refunds / payments from the University will be made by autopay to students. Students should ensure their bank account is still functional until the completion of all payments / refunds from the University.
B) Exchange students will get the refund by "Post-Cheque Method". All refund will be posted by cheque to the corresponding address as shown in Academic Registry student database. Students will receive the cheque in around 4 weeks after the check-out date. The cheque will be in Hong Kong dollars and valid for 6 months only. In case they cash the cheque in their local bank, they may be required to pay a handling fee by the bank.
C) Final year students, including non-local students, should ensure their bank account in Hong Kong is still functional after check-out for receiving hall refund. According to Hang Seng Bank, PolyU graduates can retain their bank accounts for 1 year after graduation without paying handling charge. Please contact your local bank direct for details.
D) In case a refund is pending over 5 years due to the fault of the concerned student [e.g. a) a local student refuses to provide his/her bank account information for refund purpose; b) the address provided by a non-local student for sending the refund cheque is not accurate; c) a non-local student has not deposited the refund cheque] and the University cannot contact him/her, the refund will be confiscated and subsequent request for refund will not be entertained.