Higher Education (Student-initiated Service-Learning)
Guidelines for Applications
Date: 9 and 10 July 2021
|22 March 2021||Call for applications|
|7 May 2021||Application deadline|
|May 2021||Result announcement|
We invites submissions presenting community engagement initiatives or service-learning (SL) projects organized by tertiary students from all over the world:
Community engagement or SL projects
- • All curricular, co-curricular and extra-curricular projects completed in the past 5 years.
Products for serving the community
- • Products which have been used or will be used to serve people in need or the community at large.
Virtual community engagement or SL proposal
- • Proposals on innovative virtual community engagement or SL initiatives, especially for those aiming to address the problems caused by the Covid-19.
• For Type 1 and 2, project in progress and product under development at the time of application will not be considered.
• For Type 1 and 2, projects or products which are originally developed to fulfill certain kinds of requirement (such as Capstone or Final Year Project) and/or awarded in any competitions will be considered. However, declaration must be made, and copyright release must be obtained from the copyright holder for publicizing in the event.
(text and/or graphics)
|Selected applicants should submit their e-poster or video at least one month before the event. Details of the poster and video requirements (e.g., dimensions, required contents, formats) will be sent with the result announcement.|
(narrated powerpoints or movie)
|Interactive Workshops or Demos|
|Live workshops or demos will be conducted in the timeslots assigned by PolyU. Duration is 30 minutes and must contain product or prototype demonstration or interactive learning activities. Rundown with details should be submitted at least 3 weeks before the event.|
Each project can only be presented in one format. PolyU reserves the rights to select and decide the format for the project after the screening process.
English is the official language of the event. Applications in Chinese will be considered, if with an English abstract attached.
Any application with an SL project/product/proposal meeting one or more of the followings will be selected:
• It demonstrates a tangible/sustainable impact or potential on improving people’s quality of life or making positive change to the community.
• It demonstrates a substantial impact/potential on developing SL learners’ citizenship.
• It is innovative in nature and can be transferred, adapted, replicated in other places.
• It provides some insights or good practices in executing quality SL projects.
Certificate and Award:
Each participating team will receive an electronic Certificate of Appreciation, and 15 quotas for attending the event.
E-poster and video exhibition: People’s Choice Award will be given to the top 3 teams receiving the highest number of votes. A trophy, a gift valued HK$2,500 (US$320) and award certificate(s) for each winning team.
Interactive workshop or demo: An appreciation gift valued HK$2,500 (US$320) for each team.
• Post-event online display of projects for 6 months