Area of Specialization
Aerodynamics; Hydrodynamics; Active flow control; Fluid-structure Interaction; Multiphase flow
Dr. Tang is specialized in various areas of fluid mechanics, especially in active flow control and fluid-structure interaction, with both fundamental investigations and real-world applications. He joined PolyU in 2014 and is now Director of Research Center for Fluid-Structure Interactions. Dr. Tang received his PhD degree from University of Manchester. After graduation, he worked in University of Michigan – Ann Arbor as Postdoctoral Research Fellow, in Nanyang Technological University as Assistant Professor. Dr. Tang has published 5 book chapters and 100+ refereed papers including 70+ papers in top-tier journals. He has served on the editorial boards for Frontiers in Bioengineering and Biotechnology (Frontiers), Journal of Hydrodynamics (Springer), and Actuators (MDPI). He has also been serving as Secretary of Hong Kong Society of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics (HKSTAM) since 2021.
Various PhD/RA openings are available. If interested, please contact Dr Tang for more information.
- Ren, F., Wang, C., and Tang, H., 2021, Bluff body uses deep-reinforcement-learning trained active flow control to achieve hydrodynamic stealth, Physics of Fluids, 33: 093602
- Ren, F., Rabault, J., and Tang, H., 2021, Applying deep reinforcement learning to active flow control in weakly turbulent conditions, Physics of Fluids, 33: 037121
- Zhao, F.W., Mumtaz Qadri, M.N., Wang, Z.K., and Tang, H., 2021, Flow-energy harvesting using a fully passive flapping foil: A guideline on design and operation, International Journal of Mechanical Sciences, 197: 106323
- Ren, F., Hu, H., and Tang, H., 2020, Active flow control using machine learning: A brief review, Journal of Hydrodynamics, 32: 247-253
- Mumtaz Qadri, M.N., Zhao, F.W., and Tang, H., 2020, Fluid-structure interaction of a fully passive flapping foil for flow energy extraction, International Journal of Mechanical Sciences, 177: 105587
- Wang, C., Ren, F., and Tang, H., 2019, Enhancing propulsion performance of a flexible heaving foil through dynamically adjusting its flexibility, Bioinspiration & Biomimetics, 14: 064002
- Ren, F., Wang, C., and Tang, H., 2019, Active control of vortex-induced vibration of a circular cylinder using machine learning, Physics of Fluids, 31: 093601
- Wang, C. and Tang, H., 2019, On the aeroelastic energy transfer from a Lamb dipole to a flexible cantilever, Journal of Fluids and Structures, 86: 170-184
- Wang, C. and Tang, H., 2019, Influence of complex driving motion on propulsion performance of a heaving flexible foil, Bioinspiration & Biomimetics, 14: 016011
- Kefayati, GH.R., Tang, H., and Chan, A., 2018, Immersed boundary-finite difference lattice Boltzmann model through fluid-structure interaction for viscoplastic fluids, Journal of Fluids and Structures, 83: 238-258
- Wang, L., Tang, H., and Wu, Y., 2018, On a submerged wave energy converter with snap-through power take-off, Applied Ocean Research, 80: 24-36
- Wang, C. and Tang, H., 2018, Enhancement of aerodynamic performance of a heaving airfoil using synthetic-jet based active flow control, Bioinspiration & Biomimetics, 13: 046005.
- Wang, C., Tang, H., Yu, S.C.M. and Duan, F., 2017, Lock-on of vortex shedding to a pair of synthetic jets with phase difference, Physical Review Fluids, 2: 104701.
- Wang, C., Tang, H., Yu, S.C.M. and Duan, F., 2017, Control of vortex-induced vibration using a pair of synthetic jets: Influence of active lock-on, Physics of Fluids, 29: 083602.
- Wang, C., Tang, H., Yu, S.C.M. and Duan, F., 2016, Active control of vortex-induced vibrations of a circular cylinder using windward-suction-leeward-blowing actuation, Physics of Fluids, 28: 053601.
- Wen, X., Tang, H. and Duan, F., 2016, Interaction of in-line twin synthetic jets with a separated flow, Physics of Fluids, 28: 043602.
- Wang, C., Tang, H., Duan, F. and Yu, S.C.M., 2016, Control of wakes and vortex-induced vibrations of a single circular cylinder using synthetic jets, Journal of Fluids and Structures, 60: 160-179.
- Wen, X., Tang, H. and Duan, F., 2015, Vortex dynamics of in-line twin synthetic jets in a laminar boundary layer, Physics of Fluids, 27: 083601.
- Wang, L., Tang, H. and Wu, Y., 2015, Simulation of wave-body interaction: A desingularized method coupled with acceleration potential, Journal of Fluids and Structures, 52: 37-48.
- Tang, H., Salunkhe, P., Zheng, Y., Du, J. and Wu, Y., 2014, On the use of synthetic jet actuator arrays for active flow separation control, Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science, 57: 1-10.
For the full list of publications, please check Dr Tang’s Google Scholar page