Area of Specialization
Aerodynamics; Hydrodynamics; Active flow control; Fluid-structure Interaction; Multiphase flow
Dr. Tang is specialized in various areas of fluid mechanics, especially in active flow control and fluid-structure interaction, with both fundamental investigations and real-world applications. He joined PolyU in 2014 and is now Director of Research Center for Fluid-Structure Interactions. Dr. Tang received his PhD degree from University of Manchester. After graduation, he worked in University of Michigan – Ann Arbor as Postdoctoral Research Fellow, in Nanyang Technological University as Assistant Professor. Dr. Tang has published 5 book chapters and 100+ refereed papers including 60+ papers in top-tier journals. He is/has been member of scientific or organizing committees for various international conferences/symposiums. He is now serving as an Executing Committee Member of Hong Kong Society of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics (HKSTAM) (2016-present).
Various PhD/RA openings are available. If interested, please contact Dr Tang for more information.
- Ren, F., Hu, H., and Tang, H., 2020, Active flow control using machine learning: A brief review, Journal of Hydrodynamics, 32: 247-253
- Mumtaz Qadri, M.N., Zhao, F.W., and Tang, H., 2020, Fluid-structure interaction of a fully passive flapping foil for flow energy extraction, International Journal of Mechanical Sciences, 177: 105587
- Wang, C., Ren, F., and Tang, H., 2019, Enhancing propulsion performance of a flexible heaving foil through dynamically adjusting its flexibility, Bioinspiration & Biomimetics, 14: 064002
- Ren, F., Wang, C., and Tang, H., 2019, Active control of vortex-induced vibration of a circular cylinder using machine learning, Physics of Fluids, 31: 093601
- Ahmad, S., Tang, H., and Yao, H.M., 2019, Shedding of a condensing droplet from beetle-inspired bumps, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 141: 1087-1096
- Wang, C. and Tang, H., 2019, On the aeroelastic energy transfer from a Lamb dipole to a flexible cantilever, Journal of Fluids and Structures, 86: 170-184
- Wang, C. and Tang, H., 2019, Influence of complex driving motion on propulsion performance of a heaving flexible foil, Bioinspiration & Biomimetics, 14: 016011
- Kefayati, GH.R., Tang, H., and Chan, A., 2018, Immersed boundary-finite difference lattice Boltzmann model through fluid-structure interaction for viscoplastic fluids, Journal of Fluids and Structures, 83: 238-258
- Wang, L., Tang, H., and Wu, Y., 2018, On a submerged wave energy converter with snap-through power take-off, Applied Ocean Research, 80: 24-36
- Wang, C. and Tang, H., 2018, Enhancement of aerodynamic performance of a heaving airfoil using synthetic-jet based active flow control, Bioinspiration & Biomimetics, 13: 046005.
- Ahmad, S., Tang, H. and Yao, H.M., 2018, Oblique impact of two successive droplets on a flat surface, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 119: 433-445.
- Wang, C., Tang, H., Yu, S.C.M. and Duan, F., 2017, Lock-on of vortex shedding to a pair of synthetic jets with phase difference, Physical Review Fluids, 2: 104701.
- Wang, C., Tang, H., Yu, S.C.M. and Duan, F., 2017, Control of vortex-induced vibration using a pair of synthetic jets: Influence of active lock-on, Physics of Fluids, 29: 083602.
- Wang, C., Tang, H., Yu, S.C.M. and Duan, F., 2016, Active control of vortex-induced vibrations of a circular cylinder using windward-suction-leeward-blowing actuation, Physics of Fluids, 28: 053601.
- Wen, X., Tang, H. and Duan, F., 2016, Interaction of in-line twin synthetic jets with a separated flow, Physics of Fluids, 28: 043602.
- Wang, C., Tang, H., Duan, F. and Yu, S.C.M., 2016, Control of wakes and vortex-induced vibrations of a single circular cylinder using synthetic jets, Journal of Fluids and Structures, 60: 160-179.
- Wen, X., Tang, H. and Duan, F., 2015, Vortex dynamics of in-line twin synthetic jets in a laminar boundary layer, Physics of Fluids, 27: 083601.
- Wang, L., Tang, H. and Wu, Y., 2015, Simulation of wave-body interaction: A desingularized method coupled with acceleration potential, Journal of Fluids and Structures, 52: 37-48.
- Tang, H., Salunkhe, P., Zheng, Y., Du, J. and Wu, Y., 2014, On the use of synthetic jet actuator arrays for active flow separation control, Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science, 57: 1-10.
For the full list of publications, please check Dr Tang’s Google Scholar page