Area of Specialization
Energy Meteorology, Solar energy resourcing and forecasting, Remote sensing, Radiative heat transfer, Mass transfer, Renewable power systems, Large scale energy storage, Passive cooling, Desalination
Dr Li received her BEng degree from Tsinghua University, MSc degree from the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Applied Mechanics of University of Pennsylvania, and PhD degree from the Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering of University of California San Diego. Prior to joining PolyU in 2020, she was a Postdoctoral Scholar from 2018 to 2020 in the Center for Energy Research of UC San Diego.
Dr Li’s research focuses on the science and technologies for renewable energy utilizations, aiming to mitigate the Abrupt Climate Change while sustain the energy, food and water supplies. She is particularly interested in renewable energy integration by developing physics-based, remote sensing and machine learning integrated adaptive technologies for solar energy resourcing and forecasting. She is also interested in integrated renewable power systems, solar driven passive cooling and desalination, and large-scale energy storage.
- M. Li, Z. Liao and C. F. M. Coimbra (2020) “Spectral Solar Irradiance on Inclined Surfaces: a Fast Monte Carlo Approach”. Journal of Renewable and Sustainable Energy 12 (5) 053705. https://doi.org/10.1063/5.0011635
- D. P. Larson, M. Li and C. F. M. Coimbra (2020) “SCOPE: Spectral Cloud Optical Property Estimation from GOES-R Imagery”. Journal of Renewable and Sustainable Energy 12(2), 026501. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.5144350
- M. Li, H. Peterson and Coimbra, C. F. M. (2019) “Radiative Cooling Resource Maps for the Contiguous United States”. Journal of Renewable and Sustainable Energy (11), 036501. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.5094510
- Z. Liao, M. Li and C. F. M. Coimbra (2019) “Anisotropic Corrections for the Downwelling Radiative Heat Transfer Flux from Various Types of Aerosols”. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer (136), pp. 1006–1016. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2019.03.031
- M. Li, and C. F. M. Coimbra (2019) “On the Effective Spectral Emissivity of Clear Skies and the Radiative Cooling Potential of Selectively Designed Materials”. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer (135), pp. 1053–1062. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2019.02.040
- M. Li, Z. Liao and C. F. M. Coimbra (2018). “Spectral model for clear sky atmospheric longwave radiation”. Journal of Quantitative Spectroscopy and Radiative Transfer (209), 196-211. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jqsrt.2018.01.029
- M. Li, Y. Jiang and C. F. M. Coimbra (2017) “On the Determination of Atmospheric Longwave Irradiance under All-Sky Conditions.” Solar Energy (144), 40-48. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.solener.2017.01.006
- Y. Chu, M. Li and C. F. M. Coimbra (2016) “Sun-tracking imaging system for intra-hour DNI forecasts.” Renewable Energy (96), 792-799. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2016.05.041
- M. Li, Y. Chu, H. T. C. Pedro and C. F. M. Coimbra (2016) “Quantitative Evaluation of the Impact of Cloud Transmittance and Velocity Derivation on Short-term DNI Forecast.” Renewable Energy (86), pp.1362-1371. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2015.09.058
- M. Li and N. Lior (2015) “Energy analysis for guiding the design of well systems of deep Enhanced Geothermal Systems”. Energy (93), pp.1173-1188. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2015.09.113
- Y. Chu, M. Li, H. T. C. Pedro and C. F. M. Coimbra (2015) “Real-time Prediction Intervals for Intra-hour DNI Forecasts.” Renewable Energy (83) pp.234-244. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2015.04.022
- M. Li, and N. Lior (2015) “Analysis of Hydraulic Fracturing and Reservoir Performance in Enhanced Geothermal Systems.”Journal of Energy Resources Technology, 137(4), 041203. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.4030111
- M. Li, H. H. Hu and H. H. Bau (2015). “Range of Validity of a Simplified Model for Diffuse Charge Dynamics.” Electroanalysis, 27(2), 473-484. https://doi.org/10.1002/elan.201400397
- M. Li, H. H. Hu and H. H. Bau (2015) “Capacitive charging and desalination dynamics of a packed-bed reactor.” Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, 17(11), 7181-7195.
- Y. Chu, H. T. C. Pedro, M. Li and C. F. M. Coimbra (2015) “Real-Time Forecasting of GHI and DNI Solar Ramps with Smart Image Processing.” Solar Energy (114) pp.91-104. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.solener.2015.01.024
- M. Li and N. Lior (2014) “Comparative Analysis of Power Plant Options for Enhanced Geothermal Systems (EGS)”. Energies, 7(12), 8427-8445. https://doi.org/10.3390/en7128427
- M. Li, Z. Liao and C. F. M. Coimbra (2018) “An Efficient Spectral Model for Evaluating Spectral and Spatial Distributions of Clear Sky Atmospheric Longwave Radiation”. Proceedings of the 16th International Heat Transfer Conference, Beijing, China, pp.8287–8295. 10.1615/IHTC16.rti.023041