Area of Specialization
Dr David Navarro-Alarcon is an Assistant Professor of Robotics at the Department of Mechanical Engineering of The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, and the Principal Investigator of the Robotics and Machine Intelligence Laboratory. Before joining PolyU, he worked at CUHK from February 2014 to June 2017, first as a Postdoctoral Fellow in soft object manipulation, and then as a Research Assistant Professor at the T Stone Robotics Institute. He received his PhD degree in mechanical and automation engineering from CUHK in January 2014.
His research interests are mostly in the area of robotics, machine intelligence, adaptive systems, and control engineering. His work has been published in the top academic journals on robotics such as the International Journal of Robotics Research (IJRR) and the IEEE Transactions on Robotics (T-RO). He has participated in several ITF, RGC, and industry-sponsored robotics projects.
Dr Navarro-Alarcon is an Associate Editor of the journal Frontiers in Robotics and AI, Specialty Section on Soft Robotics, Associate Editor of the IEEE Int. Conf. Robotics and Automation 2019, Guest Editor of the Journal of Robotics and Autonomous Systems, Organiser of the IROS 2018 Special Session on Methods and Algorithms for Automatic Manipulation of Deformable Objects, and Co-Organiser of the IROS Workshop Series on “Multimodal Sensor-Based Robot Control”. He is a Member of IEEE, the Robotics and Automation Society, and the Computational Intelligence Society.
- D. Navarro-Alarcon, O. Zahra, C. Trejo, E. Olguin-Diaz and V. Parra-Vega. Computing Pressure-Deformation Maps for Braided Continuum Robots, Frontiers in Robotics and AI, vol. 6, pp. 1–4, 2019.
- D. Navarro-Alarcon and Y.-H. Liu. Fourier-Based Shape Servoing: A New Feedback Method to Actively Deform Soft Objects into Desired 2-D Image Contours IEEE Transactions on Robotics (T-RO), vol. 34, no. 1, 272–1279, 2018.
- D. Navarro-Alarcon, S. Saini, T. Zhang, H. Chung, K. W. Ng, M. K. Chow, Y.-H. Liu Developing a Compact Robotic Needle Driver for MRI-Guided Breast Biopsy in Tight Environments. IEEE Robotics and Automation Letters (RAL), vol. 2, no. 3, 1648–1655, 2017.
- D. Navarro-Alarcon, H.M. Yip, Z. Wang, Y.-H. Liu, F. Zhong, T. Zhang and P. Li. Automatic 3D Manipulation of Soft Objects by Robotic Arms with Adaptive Deformation Model. IEEE Transactions on Robotics (TRO), vol. 32, no. 2, 429–441, 2016.
- D. Navarro-Alarcon, Z. Wang, H.M. Yip, Y.-H. Liu, F. Zhong, T. Zhang, J. Shi, and H. Wang. Robust Image-based Computation of the 3D Position of RCM Instruments and its Application to Image-guided Manipulation. IEEE Int. Conf. Robotics and Automation (ICRA), pp. 4115–4121, 2016.
- D. Navarro-Alarcon, H.M. Yip, Z. Wang, Y.-H. Liu, W. Lin, and P. Li. Adaptive Image-based Positioning of RCM Mechanisms Using Angle and Distance Features. IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS), pp. 5403–5409, 2015.
- D. Navarro-Alarcon, Y.-H. Liu, J.G. Romero, and P. Li. Energy Shaping Methods for Asymptotic Force Regulation of Compliant Mechanical Systems. IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology (TCST), vol. 22, no. 6, pp. 2376–2383, 2014.
- D. Navarro-Alarcon, Y.-H. Liu, J.G. Romero, and P. Li. On the Visual Deformation Servoing of Compliant Objects: Uncalibrated Control Methods and Experiments. International Journal of Robotics Research (IJRR), vol. 33, no. 11, pp. 1462–1480, 2014.
- D. Navarro-Alarcon, Y.-H. Liu, J.G. Romero, and P. Li. Model-free Visually Servoed Deformation Control of Elastic Objects by Robot Manipulators. IEEE Transactions on Robotics (TRO), vol. 29, no. 6, pp. 1457–1468, 2013.
- D. Navarro-Alarcon and Y.-H. Liu. Uncalibrated Vision-based Deformation Control of Compliant Objects with Online Estimation of the Jacobian Matrix. IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS), pp. 4977–4982, 2013.