David is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering of The Hong Kong Polytechnic University and the Principal Investigator of the Robotics and Machine Intelligence Laboratory (ROMI-Lab). His current research interests include perceptual robotics, adaptive behaviour, and control theory. The main goal of his scientific work is to establish new paradigms that explain the development of advanced sensorimotor capabilities in robots and intelligent machines. David follows a multidisciplinary approach to research; His investigations combine knowledge from various fields such as analytical mechanics and physics, control theory, computing, perception and neurosciences.
In 2014, David received a PhD degree in Mechanical and Automation Engineering from The Chinese University of Hong Kong. He was supervised by the world-renowned scholar Prof Yun-hui Liu, and received the prestigious CONACYT Fellowship during his doctoral studies. David worked from 2014–2017 at the T Stone Robotics Institute of CUHK, first as a Postdoctoral Fellow and then as a Research Assistant Professor. He has had various visiting positions at the Technical University of Munich in Germany), and the University of Toulon in France.
- L. Hu, D. Navarro-Alarcon, A. Cherubini, M. Li and L. Li. On Radiation-Based Thermal Servoing: New Models, Controls and Experiments, IEEE Transactions on Robotics (T-RO), 2021
- M. Muddassir, G. Limbert, and D. Navarro-Alarcon. Development of a Numerical Multi-layer Model of Skin Subjected to Pulsed Laser Irradiation to Optimise Thermal Stimulation in Photorejuvenation Procedure, Computer Methods and Programs in Biomedicine, 2021
- J. Qi, G. Ma, J. Zhu, P. Zhou, Y. Lyu, H. Zhang, and D. Navarro-Alarcon. Contour Moments Based Manipulation of Composite Rigid-Deformable Objects with Finite Time Model Estimation and Shape/Position Control, IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics (T-MECH), 2021
- O. Zahra, D. Navarro-Alarcon, and S. Tolu. A Neurorobotic Embodiment for Exploring the Dynamical Interactions of a Spiking Cerebellar Model and a Robot Arm During Vision-based Manipulation Tasks. International Journal of Neural Systems (IJNS), 2021
- M. Muddassir, D. Gomez, S. Chen, L. Hu and D. Navarro-Alarcon. Robotics Meets Cosmetic Dermatology: Development of a Novel Vision-Guided System for Skin Photo-Rejuvenation, IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics (T-MECH), 2021
- O. Zahra, S. Tolu and D. Navarro-Alarcon. Differential Mapping Spiking Neural Network for Sensor-Based Robot Control, Bioinspiration & Biomimetics, 2021
- S. Huo, B. Zhang, M. Muddassir, D.T.W. Chik and D. Navarro-Alarcon. A Sensor-Based Robotic Line Scan System with Adaptive ROI for Inspection of Defects over Convex Free-form Specular Surfaces, IEEE Sensors Journal, 2021
- D. Navarro-Alarcon and Y.-H. Liu. Fourier-Based Shape Servoing: A New Feedback Method to Actively Deform Soft Objects into Desired 2-D Image Contours IEEE Transactions on Robotics (T-RO), 2018.
- D. Navarro-Alarcon, S. Saini, T. Zhang, H. Chung, K. W. Ng, M. K. Chow, Y.-H. Liu Developing a Compact Robotic Needle Driver for MRI-Guided Breast Biopsy in Tight Environments. IEEE Robotics and Automation Letters (RAL), 2017.
- D. Navarro-Alarcon, H.M. Yip, Z. Wang, Y.-H. Liu, F. Zhong, T. Zhang and P. Li. Automatic 3D Manipulation of Soft Objects by Robotic Arms with Adaptive Deformation Model. IEEE Transactions on Robotics (TRO), 2016.
- D. Navarro-Alarcon, Y.-H. Liu, J.G. Romero, and P. Li. Energy Shaping Methods for Asymptotic Force Regulation of Compliant Mechanical Systems. IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology (TCST), 2014.
- D. Navarro-Alarcon, Y.-H. Liu, J.G. Romero, and P. Li. On the Visual Deformation Servoing of Compliant Objects: Uncalibrated Control Methods and Experiments. International Journal of Robotics Research (IJRR), 2014.
- D. Navarro-Alarcon, Y.-H. Liu, J.G. Romero, and P. Li. Model-free Visually Servoed Deformation Control of Elastic Objects by Robot Manipulators. IEEE Transactions on Robotics (T-RO), 2013