Dr. Xiaoge Zhang is currently an assistant professor in the Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering (ISE) at The Hong Kong Polytechnic University. Before joining ISE at PolyU, he was a Senior Operations Research Analyst in the Operations Research and Spatial Analytics (ORSA) group at the headquarter of FedEx Express in Memphis, Tennessee, United States from March 2020 to August 2021. He received Ph.D. in Systems Engineering and Operations Research at Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tennessee, United States in 2019. During his Ph.D., he interned at the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) Ames Research Center (ARC) from August to December in 2016 at Moffett Field, California, working at the Prognostics Center of Excellence (PCoE) led by Dr Kai Goebel. He was a recipient of the Chinese Government Award for Outstanding Self-financed Students Abroad in 2017. Prior to that, he received his Master degree in Computer Science from Southwest University, Chongqing, China, in 2014.
Dr. Zhang’s research interests include risk & reliability analysis, resilience modeling, machine learning, uncertainty quantification, and data science. His work has appeared in leading academic journals, such as Risk Analysis, IEEE Transactions on Reliability, Decision Support Systems, Information Sciences, Reliability Engineering and System Safety, IEEE Transactions on Cybernetics, and Annals of Operations Research, among others. He is a member of IEEE, INFORMS, and SIAM.
- Machine learning
- Uncertainty quantification
- Risk & reliability analysis
- Resilience modeling
- Data science
Selected Journal Publications
- Zhang, X., Srinivasan, P., & Mahadevan, S. (2021). Sequential deep learning from NTSB reports for aviation safety prognosis. Safety Science, 142, 105390.
- Zhang, X., & Mahadevan, S. (2021). Bayesian network modeling of accident investigation reports for aviation safety assessment. Reliability Engineering & System Safety, 209, 107371.
- Zhang, X., Hu, Z., & Mahadevan, S. (2020). Bilevel Optimization Model for Resilient Configuration of Logistics Service Centers. IEEE Transactions on Reliability, In Press.
- Zhang, X., & Mahadevan, S. (2020). Bayesian neural networks for flight trajectory prediction and safety assessment. Decision Support Systems, 131, 113246.
- Zhang, X., Mahadevan, S., Lau, N., & Weinger, M. B. (2020). Multi-source information fusion to assess control room operator performance. Reliability Engineering & System Safety, 194, 106287.
- Zhang, X., Mahadevan, S., & Goebel, K. (2019). Network reconfiguration for increasing transportation system resilience under extreme events. Risk analysis, 39(9), 2054-2075.
- Zhang, X., & Mahadevan, S. (2019). Ensemble machine learning models for aviation incident risk prediction. Decision Support Systems, 116, 48-63.
- Gao, C., Zhang, X., Yue, Z., & Wei, D. (2018). An accelerated Physarum solver for network optimization. IEEE Transactions on Cybernetics, 50(2), 765-776.
- Zhang, X., Mahadevan, S., Sankararaman, S., & Goebel, K. (2018). Resilience-based network design under uncertainty. Reliability Engineering & System Safety, 169, 364-379.
- Zhang, X., & Mahadevan, S. (2017). A bio-inspired approach to traffic network equilibrium assignment problem. IEEE transactions on cybernetics, 48(4), 1304-1315.
- Zhang, X., Mahadevan, S., & Deng, X. (2017). Reliability analysis with linguistic data: An evidential network approach. Reliability Engineering & System Safety, 162, 111-121.
- Zhang, X., Deng, Y., Chan, F. T., Xu, P., Mahadevan, S., & Hu, Y. (2013). IFSJSP: a novel methodology for the job-shop scheduling problem based on intuitionistic fuzzy sets. International Journal of Production Research, 51(17), 5100-5119.
- Zhang, X., Zhang, Z., Zhang, Y., Wei, D., & Deng, Y. (2013). Route selection for emergency logistics management: A bio-inspired algorithm. Safety science, 54, 87-91.