These GreenCoin Terms and Conditions govern your participation in the GreenCoin campaign as well as your use of the mobile application and service provided by GreenCoin
GreenCoin is open for current PolyU staff and students (the “users”) who are eligible to download and install a dedicated mobile app (hereinafter “GreenCoin app”) and make use of it to gain and use virtual credits in the name of “Coins”. Upon performing and fulfilling certain specified actions and activities on campus, users will be able to earn Coins which they can accumulate via their mobile app. The Coins earned can be exchanged for specific e-coupons for use in dedicated campus facilities. All coin-crediting and e-coupon redemption activities must be executed via the GreenCoin app.
- We reserve the right to change and modify the GreenCoin campaign, its scope, its operation, its offers and e-coupons, its content on website and related publicity, its service, its mobile application and system structure, and other features, including these Terms and Conditions, or to terminate the GreenCoin campaign, at any time and without prior notice. By using it in any manner, users agree to observe and be bound by these Terms and Conditions referenced herein.
- Although we will use reasonable efforts to notify users of changes to GreenCoin operation and/or to these Terms and Conditions, it is the responsibility of users to keep themselves up to date in respect of the mobile application and these Terms and Conditions. Users understand and agree that all changes to Terms and Conditions and other information governing the GreenCoin operation and the app are effective when they are posted on the website or when they are shown on the mobile app.
- Duration of the GreenCoin campaign, its trial period, and any of its development and enhancement phases are all subject to change without prior notice.
- We have the absolute discretion to make the final decision if any dispute arises.
- Users agree to download the GreenCoin app and agree to assume full responsibility for any damage caused to their devices, any programs, data or information related to or arising from such download.
- Users shall not copy, decompile, disassemble, attempt to derive the source codes of, decrypt, interfere with, make any modification or adaptation, or disrupt the integrity or the performance of GreenCoin app. Users shall not use the GreenCoin app for any purpose for which it is not designed or intended.
- PolyU and/or the operators of designated campus facilities who offer e-coupons or incentives via GreenCoin will not be liable for loss or damage resulting from any amendment to the campaign, its platform or to these Terms and Conditions.
- Unless otherwise indicated, the contents found on the GreenCoin app and its website are subject to copyright owned by PolyU.
Eligibility to use
- By its public and full launch, GreenCoin is open for current PolyU students and staff. They can download, install and use the GreenCoin mobile application subject to successful login with their personal NetIDs and passwords. Misuse of the application, its service or the e-coupons may result in termination or suspension of eligibility to use.
- Staff and students as users need to log in the GreenCoin app using their current personal NetID information. They are responsible for the security of their passwords, and we shall not be liable in the event that a user’s password is disclosed, whether intentionally or not, so as to allow a third person access to the user’s account.
- Staff and students are not required to perform any off-line application before downloading, accessing, and using this mobile application.
- PolyU's GreenCoin management / operation / development team members are eligible to access and use the GreenCoin app and perform responsibilities such as maintaining its normal operation, further development, service enhancement, and investigation of technical issues. They are prohibited from activities involving deliberate and abusive actions to intervene and disrupt the operation, stability, and performance of the GreenCoin app. They are prohibited from any unlawful use of the app or with dishonest intent to manipulate the credit-earning and e-coupon redemption activities.
Download and run the GreenCoin app
- The GreenCoin app is available on App Store and Google Play. By downloading and installing the GreenCoin app on the users’ mobile phones, users agree to observe and be bound by the GreenCoin Terms and Conditions.
- GreenCoin operates all in-app coin crediting and e-coupon redemption activities electronically. No print-out records will be provided.
- Staff and students as users need to log in with their personal NetID information in order to launch and run the GreenCoin app.
- Users should maintain the GreenCoin app on one device only. They should not access and use the mobile application on multiple mobile devices concurrently using the same NetID.
- Users should check regularly on app updates and new releases.
- In case the user changes to use another mobile device or has lost his/her device with the GreenCoin app previously installed, the user can download and install the GreenCoin app onto his/her new device, and login to run it with the same NetID.
- By downloading and installing the GreenCoin app, users agree not to copy, reproduce, alter, modify, create derivative works, or broadcast any content, program, and codes from the Green Coin app.
- The app may at times prompt users to re-login for security purpose. Users can login again to continue using the app.
- Living and dining green and joining selected sustainability activities on campus will allow users to earn Coins. Such acts include: (i) practicing bring-your-own (BYO) food/drinks containers at dedicated campus catering outlet and perform a valid transaction, (ii) participating plastic bottle recycling via Reverse Vending Machines on campus, and (iii) joining designated events and activities.
- Users should read the EARN COINS and ANNOUNCEMENTS sections of the GreenCoin website carefully for information about the channels and the mechanism for earning Coins as well as all guiding GreenCoin Terms and Conditions. They can also check the corresponding information on the GreenCoin app as well.
- Users will be given nine (9) Coins upon the first-time installation and first-time use of the GreenCoin app as an incentive.
- PolyU and/or the operators of designated campus facilities who offer e-coupons or incentives via GreenCoin may run promotions and campaigns from time to time offering Coins and/or bonus Coins. The scope and details of these promotions and campaigns are subject to change at any time without prior notice.
- Only certain transactions with designated campus facilities via this GreenCoin are eligible to earn Coins. These are outlined in the ANNOUNCEMENTS section of the GreenCoin app as well as the GreenCoin website, updated from time to time, and may be specifically published by PolyU and/or the designated campus facilities.
- Users should make use of the GreenCoin app that runs on their mobile phones to earn and accumulate Coins, and follow the directions on the GreenCoin app for any Coin redemption activity. Users should use the built-in scanning function (the in-app scanner) of the GreenCoin app to scan the QR codes on any formal documents endorsed by and obtained from PolyU or operators of designated campus facilities joining this platform in order to earn Coins. Or users can present the unique GreenCoin User ID, in the form of a QR code, for scanning at designated campus facilities to earn Coins.
- Users can earn Coins when they drop plastic beverage bottles into the Reverse Vending Machine(s). Every ONE (1) plastic beverage bottle being accepted by the machine will bring ONE (1) Coin. Users then need to scan the QR code on the machine’s display panel using the in-app scanner immediately. A timer function is present at the machine and users must scan the QR code being shown on the machine’s display within the prescribed time.
- All the QR codes leading to the earning of Coin are valid for one-time use/scanning only.
- It may take up to twenty-four (24) hours in Hong Kong time following a Coin earning activity for Coins to be credited to the user’s account in the GreenCoin app. The GreenCoin platform servers will be the official clock.
- Users who attempt to earn Coins via the Reverse Vending Machine(s) should be aware that the machine runs on its own database of common beverage bottles in the market. There is a possibility that the machine does not accept the beverage bottle from the users if it is not recorded in the machine’s database. In addition, users should be aware that the performance, functionalities, and maintenance of the Reverse Vending Machine(s) rest in full control of its supplier and not PolyU. The supplier has full rights to determine the machine’s best performance and carry out enhancements from time to time.
- Users can use the GreenCoin app to check the balance of their Coins as well as their transactions made via the GreenCoin app, i.e. the record of activities of redeeming e-coupons and earning Coins.
- Unspent Coins will reset to zero on 31 December 2021, and on every 30 June and 31 December from 2022 onwards. We reserve the right to adjust the validity/expiry of Coins from time to time, and will make announcements and communicate with users.
- Users may need to relaunch or restart the GreenCoin app from time to time to validate the activities and transactions they made on the GreenCoin app, including but not limited to crediting Coins, checking Coin balance, checking updates in the ANNOUNCEMENTS section, etc. Coins have no cash or other value and may not be sold, bartered, traded or otherwise transferred.
- Coins are valid for converting to e-coupons or redeeming awards as soon as they are credited to the user’s account on the GreenCoin app. Coins will be maintained in the users’ GreenCoin app, and will be deducted when users decide to convert Coins to available e-coupons/awards. Users should follow the instructions on the GreenCoin app, select the e-coupon or offer they want, and click ‘Redeem’ to convert Coins to e-coupons for use.
- The quantity of Coins required to convert to available e-coupons vary per each campaign and each offer. Users should read carefully the GreenCoin Terms and Conditions and guidelines to redeem Coins for e-coupons in advance.
- The e-coupons are only valid for use on designated campus facilities. PolyU and the corresponding campus facilities decide the availability, time of offering, and the scope of the e-coupons, and can change at any time without prior notice.
- Users can keep at most five (5) redeemed and unused in-app e-coupons at any one time.
- E-coupons will be valid for one-time use in within thirty (30) minutes after redemption. If the e-coupons are not used or have expired after 30 minutes, these e-coupons will no longer display under “In Your Pocket” and the Coins will be refunded or returned to the users’ GreenCoin profile.
- All Coins required for awards/redeem of e-coupons must be earned by the same user under the same NetID.
- Users should show their in-app redeemed e-coupons via the GreenCoin app to the counter staff or cashier staff of the dedicated campus facilities when they want to use the e-coupons. They should present these in-app e-coupons in the form of a QR code via the GreenCoin app for scanning by the counter or cashier staff. Users should also pay attention to the timestamp next to the QR code for expiry.
- It is the users’ responsibility to present the correct e-coupon for scanning by the counter or cashier staff. Once scanned, the e-coupons are considered ‘used’ and will not be re-issued or refunded.
- The e-coupons facilitate the users’ personal use and should not be used for sharing with and transferred to others.
- Redeeming Coins for e-coupons and/or other awards is subject to a first-come-first-served basis while stocks last.
- The e-coupons cannot be exchanged for cash or other offers. They will not be re-issued in case of loss due to any technical problem.
- Specific Terms and Conditions of the e-coupons apply and users should refer and check the details in advance. In case of doubt, the users should contact the operators of designated campus facilities who offer these e-coupons.
- Details and expiry of the offers and e-coupons and their conditions of use are subject to change at any time without prior notice.
- We reserve the right to adjust or cancel any Coins credited to a user’s account incorrectly, or not in accordance with, or in breach of, these GreenCoin Terms and Conditions at any time, with or without notice to the user.
- Individual campus facilities have their rights to check the eligibility of users patronizing them.
- Details on the eligibility for admission into and use of service provided by the facilities are subject to change from time to time.
In order to access the GreenCoin platform electronically, users need an Internet-connected mobile device compatible with iOS® 10 and above or with AndroidTM7.0 and above.
- In case of ad-hoc campaigns and promotions, users may choose to give their personal information online on a voluntary basis. The information users provide will only be used for the purposes of (i) the administration of the GreenCoin; (ii) communication between PolyU and the users; (iii) collection of opinion; and (iv) statistical and analytical purposes. It may be disclosed to other departments or units within the University for one or more of the purposes specified above. We will not disclose users’ personal data to any external body or organization unless users’ consent is sought, and it will not be used for any other commercial purpose.
- We do not require the input of users’ sensitive personal information such as the users’ date of birth and HKID card numbers, and does not collect such information automatically to facilitate the download and use of the GreenCoin app.
- PolyU's GreenCoin management / operation / development team pledge to comply with the requirements of the Personal Data (Privacy) Ordinance. You may refer to the Personal Information Collection Statement here.
- We may run publicity event(s) in association with GreenCoin. We may take photographs/ video recording during this event and use such images in publicity or marketing activities. The recorded images will be handled according to the prevailing policy of The Hong Kong Polytechnic University. Enquiries shall be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org by email.
GreenCoin may display third-party content, links, promotions, logos and other materials on or through the GreenCoin app (collectively, “Third-Party Content”). We do not control, endorse, sponsor or adopt any Third-Party Content or any third parties referenced on the mobile app, and makes no representations or warranties of any kind regarding such Third-Party Content, including, without limitation, regarding its accuracy or completeness. Users’ interactions with Third-Party Content, and any third party that provides Third-Party Content, are solely between the users and such third parties, and we are not responsible or liable in any manner for such interactions or Third-Party Content.
Third-Party Offers and Functionalities
GreenCoin may partner with external parties to introduce offers and other functionalities to users from time to time. We do not control and will not accept any liability, obligation or responsibility whatsoever for any loss or damage arising from or in respect of any use or misuse or reliance on such offer or functionalities.
Copyright and Disclaimer
- Unless otherwise indicated, the contents found on the GreenCoin app and its website are subject to copyright owned by PolyU.
- The contents of the GreenCoin app and its website will be updated from time to time without notice.
- The information on GreenCoin app and its website is provided to users on an "AS IS" basis without any express or implied warranty of any kind and is provided for a general, indicative purpose only. We do not make any express or implied warranty as to the accuracy, fitness for a particular purpose, non-infringement, reliability, security, timeliness or freedom from computer virus in relation to such contents. We will not be liable for any errors in, omissions from, or misstatements or misrepresentations (whether express or implied) concerning any such information, and will not have or accept any liability, obligation or responsibility whatsoever for any loss, destruction or damage however arising from or in respect of any use or misuse of or reliance on the information delivered on the GreenCoin app and its website, or inability to use the GreenCoin app or its website.
- We will not have or accept any liability, obligation or responsibility whatsoever for any loss, destruction or damage however arising from or in respect of any use or misuse of the e-coupons delivered through the GreenCoin app.
- Users will indemnify and hold harmless PolyU from and against any and all actions, claims, proceedings, damages, losses, costs and expenses resulting from: (a) use of the GreenCoin app; (b) any use of NetID information; (c) users’ breach of these GreenCoin Terms and Conditions; (d) users’ breach of any statutory requirement, duty or law; or (e) users’ violation of any rights of another person or entity.
- We do not represent or warrant that: (a) the use of the GreenCoin app will be secure, timely, uninterrupted or error free or that they will be compatible or operate in combination with any other hardware, software, system or data; (b) the content on app will meet users’ requirements or expectations; (c) errors or defects in app will be corrected; or (d) the app is free of viruses or other harmful components.
- We do not warrant that the GreenCoin app will be compatible or interoperable with users’ device or any other piece of hardware, software, equipment or device installed on or used in connection with their devices. The GreenCoin app may be subject to limitations, delays, and other problems inherent in the use of the Internet and electronic communications (including problems inherent to the computer or electronic device they use). We are not responsible for any delays, damages, or losses resulting from such problems.
These Terms and Conditions are written in and only available in English. They are subject to further changes and amendments from time to time.
(Version 3.5; last modified on 24 June 2021)