David is an Associate Professor with the Department of Mechanical Engineering of The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, and the Principal Investigator of the Robotics and Machine Intelligence Laboratory (ROMI-Lab). His research mostly focusses on modelling and control of robot motion tasks. The constant goal of his work has been the establishment of methodologies that provide robots with advanced sensorimotor capabilities. His research on sensor-based robotics has been supported by many competitive government funds and the Hong Kong industry. David is a Senior Member of the IEEE and serves as an Associate Editor of the IEEE Transactions on Robotics (T-RO).
In 2014, David received his PhD degree in mechanical and automation engineering from The Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK), where he was supervised by the world-renowned scholar Prof. Yun-hui Liu, and received the prestigious CONACYT Fellowship during his doctoral studies. David worked from 2014–2017 at the CUHK T Stone Robotics Institute, first as a Postdoctoral Fellow and then as a Research Assistant Professor. He has had visiting positions at the Technical University of Munich in Germany, and the University of Toulon in France.
At PolyU, David teaches undergraduate and postgraduate subjects on robotics, nonlinear dynamics, and automatic control. He has received various teaching awards and has led several teaching initiatives on the development of “digital robotic platforms for online education”.
- P. Zhou, P. Zheng, J. Qi, C. Li, A. Duan, M. Xu, V. Wu, and D. Navarro-Alarcon. Neural Reactive Path Planning with Riemannian Motion Policies for Robotic Silicone Sealing. Robotics and Computer-Integrated Manufacturing (RCIM), 2023.
- L. Labazanova, S. Peng, L. Qiu, H.-Y. Lee, T. Nanayakkara, and D. Navarro-Alarcon. Self-Reconfigurable Soft-Rigid Mobile Agent with Variable Stiffness and Adaptive Morphology. IEEE Robotics and Automation Letters (RA-L), 2023.
- L. Hu, D. Navarro-Alarcon, A. Cherubini, M. Li and L. Li. On Radiation-Based Thermal Servoing: New Models, Controls and Experiments, IEEE Transactions on Robotics (T-RO), 2022.
- W. Ma, B. Zhang, L. Han, S. Huo, H. Wang and D. Navarro-Alarcon. Action Planning for Packing Long Linear Elastic Objects into Compact Boxes with Bimanual Robotic Manipulation. IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics (T-MECH), 2022.
- M. Muddassir, D. Gomez, S. Chen, L. Hu and D. Navarro-Alarcon. Robotics Meets Cosmetic Dermatology: Development of a Novel Vision-Guided System for Skin Photo-Rejuvenation, IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics (T-MECH), 2022.
- J. Qi, G. Ma, J. Zhu, P. Zhou, Y. Lyu, H. Zhang, and D. Navarro-Alarcon. Contour Moments Based Manipulation of Composite Rigid-Deformable Objects with Finite Time Model Estimation and Shape/Position Control, IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics (T-MECH), 2021.
- Zahra, D. Navarro-Alarcon, and S. Tolu. A Neurorobotic Embodiment for Exploring the Dynamical Interactions of a Spiking Cerebellar Model and a Robot Arm During Vision-based Manipulation Tasks. International Journal of Neural Systems (IJNS), 2021.
- D. Navarro-Alarcon and Y.-H. Liu. Fourier-Based Shape Servoing: A New Feedback Method to Actively Deform Soft Objects into Desired 2-D Image Contours IEEE Transactions on Robotics (T-RO), 2018.
- D. Navarro-Alarcon, H.M. Yip, Z. Wang, Y.-H. Liu, F. Zhong, T. Zhang and P. Li. Automatic 3D Manipulation of Soft Objects by Robotic Arms with Adaptive Deformation Model. IEEE Transactions on Robotics (TRO), 2016.
- D. Navarro-Alarcon, Y.-H. Liu, J.G. Romero, and P. Li. Energy Shaping Methods for Asymptotic Force Regulation of Compliant Mechanical Systems. IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology (TCST), 2014.
- D. Navarro-Alarcon, Y.-H. Liu, J.G. Romero, and P. Li. On the Visual Deformation Servoing of Compliant Objects: Uncalibrated Control Methods and Experiments. International Journal of Robotics Research (IJRR), 2014.
- D. Navarro-Alarcon, Y.-H. Liu, J.G. Romero, and P. Li. Model-free Visually Servoed Deformation Control of Elastic Objects by Robot Manipulators. IEEE Transactions on Robotics (T-RO), 2013.