The Mathematics Laboratories, located in P116 and P117, provide a comfortable environment for students and staff in the learning and teaching of mathematics and statistics. The laboratories are equipped with high performance networked PCs with a variety of application software, laser and colour printers, LCD projectors, scanner and modern audio visual facilities. A Bloomberg terminal is also installed for the Investment Science programme students to get in touch with the ever changing financial world.
Students can get access in the laboratories using their student identity cards.
1. P116 & P117
During teaching weeks
- Monday to Friday: 9:15 am - 9:45 pm
- Saturday: 9:15 am - 4:45 pm, except public holidays
- Sunday and public holidays: Closed
During non-teaching weeks
- Monday to Friday: 9:15 am to 12:45 pm, 2:15 pm to 5:45 pm
- Sunday and public holidays: Closed
For technical support and general enquiry, please contact
- Technicians in room P118, Tel: 2766 6917, 3400 3746 or 3400 3748
- General Office in TU732, Tel: 2766 6946-9
- PolyU campus emergency contact number: 2766 7999
For other any question or comment on computing facilities of the Department, please contact the relevant Programme Leaders, or send email to Dr. Qiao Zhonghua or Dr. Zhang Zaikun.
Regulations in using the Mathematics Laboratories
All students using the Mathematics Laboratories must observe the following rules. Failing to do so may result in the termination of rights to use the Mathematics Laboratories and/or other disciplinary actions taken against them.
- The Mathematics Laboratories are for students of the Department of Applied Mathematics (AMA) only. Students from other departments are not allowed unless supervised by AMA staff.
- Students may gain access to the Mathematics Laboratories by placing their student ID card on the Smartcard Access Control Reader outside the room. Please make sure the door is properly shut after entering the room and do not put anything to prevent the door from closing as this would trigger the alarm.
- Students are required to have their student ID cards ready for checking whenever using the Mathematics Laboratories.
- The Mathematics Laboratories are strictly for academic purposes only. No other activities, such as games, card playing, board game, etc. are allowed.
- Priority in using the Bloomberg terminal will be given to students with booked time slots.
- No food or drink is allowed in the Mathematics Laboratories.
- Do not format the hard disk, delete system files, or alter system settings of the computers unless specifically asked to do so by AMA staff.
- Observe the copyright laws and do not use any illegal software. Do not use other user’s account or interfere with other’s files.
- Make sure all files and disks used in the Mathematics Laboratories are virus free. If in doubt, check them with the virus scanner.
- Files saved in the computers or network are at your own risk.
- An unattended computer without a running job is considered as free to be used by other users.
- Remember to log out and shut down the computer before leaving the laboratory.
- The Mathematics Laboratories belong to you all. Keep them clean and quiet.
Printing Policy for Students
- All students have to log in their own account in order to use the printers. A print manager software monitors all print jobs. Each student is allocated a free quota according to their year of study as follow:
- All students: 1,300 pages a year
(Student Year is defined according to the year the student admitted into the programme.) The free quotas are allocated at the commencement of an academic year and cleared three weeks before the start of the following academic year.
- Should the free quota be used up, students are required to pay $0.20 per page in advance before printing can be processed. Units of $20 or its multiples may be paid in advance in cash at the Department’s General Office. The unused paid amount will be refunded in full at the end of each academic year. All applications for refund have to be done three weeks before the start of the following academic year.
- Students found using the printing services inappropriately, such as printing something not related to their academic work, tempering with the printer, using other’s account, etc., will be suspended from using the printing facilities, are liable to pay for all damages, or will be reported to the University for further actions.
- Individual student’s print balance may be checked any time by logging in the network via the wbalance programme.
- The free print quotas and charges may be reviewed from time to time.
- The printing policy is for the purpose of environmental friendliness. Please use less paper to help to save the environment.