Prof. Henry CHAN Ho-lung
Prof. Henry CHAN Ho-lung (陳浩龍) currently is a Professor in the School of Optometry, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University. He is also an Honorary Associate Professor in the Department of Ophthalmology, The University of Hong Kong.
Prof. Henry Ho-lung CHAN (陳浩龍) completed his undergraduate training in Optometry in The Hong Kong Polytechnic and obtained his PhD in The Hong Kong Polytechnic University in the area of clinical electrophysiology in vision. His current position is Professor in the School of Optometry, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University. He also obtained his fellowship of American Academy of Optometry (FAAO). He is currently the Honorary Associate Professor in the Department of Ophthalmology, The University of Hong Kong.
In 2006, he developed a new paradigm – modified global flash multifocal electroretinogram (mfERG) –for early glaucoma diagnosis. This new method has over 90% of sensitivity and specificity for differentiating eyes with glaucoma from normal eyes. This special measurement has been proved to detect the glaucomatous changes at least 4 years before detected by the current clinical tests.
Over the same period, he used the mfERG to investigate the myopia eye. The central inner retinal activities obtained using a specific multifocal ERG measurement is significantly correlated with later myopia progression in children. It is a potential reference for juvenile myopia development.
Recently, he also worked on the area of the environmental influence in myopia progression. It is a new area to explore the mechanism of myopia development. Moreover, he also focuses on the treatment of eye diseases using Lycium Barbarum (LB) which is a commonly used TCM. One of his studies showed that a 12-month LB treatment was able to preserve vision and retinal structure in Retinitis Pigmentosa (RP) patients.
Education and Academic Qualifications
- Associate Professor, School of Optometry, PolyU (2005 – present)
- Assistant Professor, Department of Optometry and Radiography, PolyU (1999-2005)
- Demonstrator, Department of Optometry and Radiography, PolyU (1997-1999)
- Honorary Associate Professor, Department of Ophthalmology, Li Ka Shing Faculty of Medicine, Hong Kong University (2007 – present)
- Honorary Research Fellow, School of Life & Health Sciences, Aston University, UK (2016 – 2018)
- Honorary Associate Professor, School of Biomedical Sciences, Li Ka Shing Faculty of Medicine, Hong Kong University (2015 – 2016)
- Honorary Associate Professor, Department of Anatomy, Li Ka Shing Faculty of Medicine, Hong Kong University (2005 – 2015)
- Honorary Assistant Professor, Department of Anatomy, Li Ka Shing Faculty of Medicine, Hong Kong University (2003 – 2005)
- Visiting Optometrist, Department of Ophthalmology, Queen Mary Hospital (2007 – 2009)
- Adjunct Clinical Associate Professor of Optometry, School of Optometry, Indiana University, US (2007 – 2009)
- Member of Education Committee for the Optometrists Board in Hong Kong (Nov 2008 – Oct 2014)
- Director of The Hong Kong Federation of Societies for Prevention of Blindness (Jan 2013 – Dec 2014; Jan 2017 – present)
- Vice-president of The Hong Kong Society of Professional Optometrists (Chairman of the Professional Development Committee) (2003 – 2004)
- Registered Optometrist (Part I) in Hong Kong (1996 – present)
- Credentialed Optometrist and overseas examiner, Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) of New Zealand (2006-2008)
- Member of Hong Kong Society of Professional Optometrists (1991 – present)
- Member of The International Society of Clinical Electrophysiology for Vision (ISCEV) (2000 – present)
- Fellow of the American Academy of Optometry