Dr DO Chi-wai
- +852 2766 6090
I received a Bachelor of Science in Optometry from The Hong Kong Polytechnic University (PolyU). After completing my PhD study at the same institution, I worked as a postdoctoral fellow and then a research associate at the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine in the United States. After that, I returned to my alma mater as assistant professor and I am currently an associate professor in the School of Optometry, PolyU.
My research interest lies in the areas of aqueous humor dynamics and glaucoma pathophysiology. My research has been focused on cellular mechanisms responsible for modulating the rate of aqueous humor secretion, outflow facility and intraocular pressure (IOP). I have adopted an integrated approach using both in vitro and in vivo animal models to investigate the regulation of aqueous humor dynamics and its relationship to IOP. My goal is to unravel the mechanisms and signaling cascades underlying the regulation of ion transport and fluid dynamics in the mammalian eyes. Recently, we have also looked into the potential therapeutic functions of Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) in eye disease management.
Education and Academic Qualifications
- Doctor of Philosophy, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
- BSc (1st class honor) in Optometry, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
- Registered Optometrist (Part I) Hong Kong
- Mechanism and regulation of aqueous humor dynamics and intraocular pressure (IOP)
- Pathophysiology of glaucoma
- Traditional Chinese Medicine for managing eye diseases
- Advanced technology for vision assessment
- Li HL, Shan SW, Stamer WD, Li KK, Chan HHL, Civan MM, To CH, Lam TC, Do CW. Mechanistic Effects of Baicalein on Aqueous Humor Drainage and Intraocular Pressure. Int J Mol Sci. 2022 Jul 1;23(13):7372. doi: 10.3390/ijms23137372.
- Pan L, Sze YH, Yang M, Tang J, Zhao S, Yi I, To CH, Lam C, Chen DF, Cho KS, Do CW. Baicalein – a Potent Pro-homeostatic Regulator of Microglia in Retinal Ischemic Injury. Front Immunol. 2022 doi.org/10.3389/fimmu.2022.837497.
- Pan L, Cho KS, Yi I, To CH, Chen DF, Do CW. Baicalein, Baicalin, and Wogonin: Protective Effects against Ischemia-Induced Neurodegeneration in the Brain and Retina. Oxid Med Cell Longev. 2021. doi:10.1155/2021/8377362.
- Shan SW, Do CW, Lam TC, Li HL, Stamer WD, To CH. Thrombospondin‐1 mediates Rho‐kinase inhibitor‐induced increase in outflow‐facility. J Cell Physiol. 2021. doi:10.1002/jcp.30492.
- Cui YK, Pan L, Lam T, Wen CY, Do CW. Mechanistic links between systemic hypertension and open angle glaucoma. Clin Exp Optom. 2021. doi:10.1080/08164622.2021.1964332.
- Do CW, Chan LYL, Tse ACY, Cheung T, So BCL, Tang WC, Yu WY, Chu, GCH, Szeto GPY, Lee RLT, Lee PH. Association between Time Spent on Smart Devices and Change in Refractive Error: A 1-Year Prospective Observational Study among Hong Kong Children and Adolescents. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2020. doi:10.3390/ijerph17238923.
- Lam TC, Li KK, Do CW, Chan HHL, To CH, Kwong JMK. Quantitative profiling of regional protein expression in rat retina after partial optic nerve transection using fluorescence difference two-dimensional gel electrophoresis. Mol Med Rep. 20(3)2734-42, 2019.
- Li SKL, Shan SW, Li HL, Cheng AKW, Pan F, Yip SP, Civan MM. To CH, Do CW. Characterization and regulation of gap junctions in porcine ciliary epithelium. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 59(8):3461-3468, 2018.
- Shan SW, Do CW, Lam TC, Kong RPW, Li KK, Chun KM, Stamer WD, To CH. New insight of common regulatory pathways in human trabecular meshwork cells in response to dexamethasone and prednisolone using an integrated quantitative proteomics: SWATH and MRM-HR mass spectrometry. J Proteome Res. 16(10):3753-65, 2017.
- Cheng AKW, Civan MM, To CH, Do CW. cAMP stimulates transepithelial short-circuit current and fluid transport across porcine ciliary epithelium. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 57(15):6784-94, 2016.