Regulations Governing Hall/Room Transfer & Procedures
While living and sharing a room with a new face is not an easy task, learning to accommodate personal differences and other’s living habit is however a precious experience. Hall residents are encouraged to work out a way to live in harmony with their roommate(s) and take this as an opportunity to enhance their interpersonal and communications skills.
Hall residents who are determined to change hall or room after the Adaptation Period (to be announced by email every year) should note the followings:
- Hall Administration will start to accept applications after the Adaptation Period.
- Applications for inter-Halls of Residence transfer (i.e. between Hung Hom Halls and Homantin Halls) will not be accepted.
- Applications for Hall/Room transfer within Homantin Halls is subject to the approval of respective Hall Wardens or their delegates.
- Applications will be processed in accordance with the priority set by the Hall Administration and are subject to the availability of targeted hall/room.
- Applications that will result in an increase of single occupancy within shared rooms will generally not be approved unless with sufficient justifications.
- An administrative fee* will be charged for each successful Hall/Room Transfer application. Please note that the administrative fee is non-refundable for whatever reasons when the hall resident accepts the offer of room change and have encoded the new door key to their PolyU ID cards.
- Residents concerned who are found changing/swapping room without approval should be asked to move back immediately, subject to a penalty* and disciplinary actions.
- The period of Application for Hall/Room Transfer ends on 30 Apr. every year.
- Submit application via POSS.
- Applicants can indicate their preferences in the application. They can also click "optional" boxes in the hope of shortening the waiting time but their preferences will not be guaranteed.
- Applicants can submit one application either for Hall/Room Change or for Room Swap at one time.
- After submission, applicants can view the application but cannot update it.
- If it is withdrawn, applicants can resubmit another request which will be regarded as a new application.
- The completed application will be sent to the respective Hall Wardens for approval.
Process of Hall/Room Change:
Upon receiving notification of Hall/Room Change, applicants should complete the following process within 3 days:
- Encode the new door key to the PolyU ID card at the Hall Reception.
- Settle an electronic debit note for the administrative fee of Hall/Room Change.
- Conduct online inventory check of the new room within 3 days. If your timely response is not received, it will be assumed that the inventory items in your room are in good condition, and you will be held responsible for the damage to or loss of inventory items in your room. It is important for you to report to us should you find any missing or damaged items before the submission deadline.
- Vacate the existing room and move your belongings to the new room.
- Go to Hall Reception in person between 9:00am and 9:00pm to make an appointment for conducting inventory check of your existing room together with PMO staff.
- Sign on the electronic tablet to confirm the online inventory check of the existing room, and go to Hall Reception to re-encode the PolyU ID card before the end of the 3-day period. Failing to do so, the checkout procedures of the existing room is regarded as incomplete and the relevant penalty* and fees* will apply.
- Applicants should be responsible for checking their PolyU email account timely. If an applicant fails to encode the new door key to their PolyU ID cards within 3 days after being informed via email, the approved transfer application will be withdrawn by the Hall Administration automatically without prior notice.
- A daily penalty* and lodging fee* of the existing room will be levied on the applicant if he/she cannot complete the process of Hall/Room Change within 3 days and keeps two hall places concurrently.
- Applicable to research postgraduate (RPg) residents only: If they have an intention to apply for, or have already submitted an application for the Special Warden Recommendation Scheme (SWR), they should inform the Hall Administration via email to avoid being assigned to a different hall. RPg residents admitted via SWR are not eligible for application for changing hall. In case it is found that they have changed their hall, their SWR offer, if any, will be cancelled, or they will be required to move back to their existing room and to pay for late check-out surcharge*.
*Please refer to the Administration and Penalty Charges on Hall Homepage for the relevant fees and penalty.