Student Accommodation

“Regulations Governing Hall Residence” (Hung Hom Halls / Homantin Halls) is also applicable  to summer residence unless otherwise specified below.

1) Eligibility and Priority

All current full-time students of UGC-funded degree programmes, including final year students, are eligible to apply for Summer Residence, except inbound exchange students whose student visa will expire in the second semester of the academic year and students who are living/have resided in off-campus housing managed by the University in the same academic year.

2) Allocation Principles

In case of overwhelming demand, priority will be offered to non-local students and current hall residents. Local applicants will be further prioritized by their living locations and home environment as specified in part 1 and 2 of the Point Scoring Mechanism (PSM).

If there is still vacancy when all students of UGC-funded degree programs applying for summer residence have been admitted, other PolyU full-time students may also be admitted for summer residence. Similarly, non-local students will be given higher priority and local students will be further prioritized by their living locations and home environment. 

3) Payment Terms

a) New residents are required to pay Hall Caution Money of $500 (refundable subject to no claim on room inventories upon check-out) while current residents will have their Hall Caution Money for the current year carried forward, provided there is no outstanding claim.

b) For withdrawal from Summer Residence, a Residence Cancellation Fee of $500 will be levied before refund arrangement. If a resident withdraws his/her hall residence within the last 2 weeks of the summer residential period, the remaining hall lodging fee shall be forfeited as the Residence Cancellation Fee.

4) Deferred payment of Hall Fee

Application of deferred payment of Hall Fee for summer term will not be considered.

5) Late Applications

Late application will normally not be entertained, and in the exceptional circumstances when late applications are considered, the applicants will not be allowed to pair-up with their preferred room-mates.

6) Hall and Room Allocation

In general, current residents who are successful in their application for summer residence will be arranged to stay in the same hall building and individual hall where they are living. However, in order to best utilize resources, they may be required to move to another hall, room type or suite within the same hall building if necessary. Students are required to take the allocation of hall and room as final and request for hall/room transfer will not be entertained. If students plan to leave Hong Kong during the room change period, they should authorize a friend to change room on their behalf. 

7) Pair-up of Room-mates

  1. Applicants can indicate their preferred room-mates via an on-line facility with mutual agreement.
  2. Applicants who have not indicated their preferred room-mates will be assigned one(s) by the Hall Administration. In order to best utilize resources, in case the preferred room type cannot be arranged, applicants without preferred room-mates may be assigned to another available room type.
  3. The Hall Administration reserves the right to make a final decision on room allocation in case of dispute.

8) Room Change (for current residents)

If current residents are required to move to another room, they will be informed of the necessary room change arrangements by email. If they are unable to complete the room change within the period specified, the Hall staff will help move their personal belongings to their newly assigned room without their presence. They will then be subject to administration charges including a) the daily lodging fee for occupying two beds and b) a fine of $100 per day, up to the date of completion of formal room change procedures, and other charges as deemed necessary. The University disclaims any liability for the loss of and damage to any personal belongings of the residents concerned. 

9) Summer Extension (the period between Summer Residence and next Residential Year)

Students who have been given an offer of hall residence for next residential year can apply for residence in Summer Extension Period. Applications must reach the Hall Administration before the deadline and upon approval, the lodging fee must be settled within the period specified Otherwise, the students will not be allowed to stay in the Hall during the Summer Extension Period.

Hall Administration
Student Resources and Support Section
Student Affairs Office

June 2020