Skip to main content Start main content

Visa Issues


It is your responsibility to extend your student visa before it expires.

Information on visa extension, internship, employment and contact details of the Immigration Department can be found at the Visa Matters for non-local students of the Academic Registry.


Change of Student Status

If you are going to change your student status from full-time to part-time, or vice versa, your visa status may be affected. It is therefore necessary for you to seek approval from the Director of Immigration.


Important Notes for Non-local Students

As a non-local student, you should refer to the section of “Important Notes for Non-local Students” in the Student Handbook.

Persons admitted for study may apply for extension of stay, if necessary, within 4 weeks before the limit of stay expires to continue their study in the Government of Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR). Such applications will be considered only when the applicants continue to meet the eligibility criteria for entry for study. Extension of stay, if approved, will normally be on a yearly basis or in accordance with the duration of their studies, as appropriate.

The following documents are normally required when submitting an extension of stay application:

  1. a duly completed application form ID91;
  2. applicant's travel document;
  3. applicant's HK Identity Card; and
  4. a current school supporting letter confirming that the student requires extension of stay to continue with the same study.

Mainland students may submit the applications to the Quality Migrants and Mainland Residents Section, Immigration Department, 6/F, Immigration Tower, 7 Gloucester Road, Wan Chai, Hong Kong.

Students other than those from the Mainland may submit their applications to the Extension Section, Immigration Department, 5/F, Immigration Tower, 7 Gloucester Road, Wan Chai, Hong Kong or any Immigration Office (except Hong Kong Island Travel Documents Issuing Office).

Non-permanent residents of the HKSAR, irrespective of their nationality and type of travel document held, do not require a re-entry visa/entry permit to enter the HKSAR provided that they return within the currency of their permitted limit of stay and that the circumstances upon which they have acquired their residential status remain unchanged.

A China entry permit is required for most of the passport holders when travelling to Mainland China.

Further information can be obtained from the China Travel Service (CTS) in Hong Kong. The nearest CTS is at the MTR Hung Hom Station.






Your browser is not the latest version. If you continue to browse our website, Some pages may not function properly.

You are recommended to upgrade to a newer version or switch to a different browser. A list of the web browsers that we support can be found here