Prof. Wong Wai-yeung, Raymond
Dean(FS), ADoRISE & Chair Professor of Chemical Technology
- +852 3400 8670
- Fellow of Royal Society of Chemistry
- Chartered Chemist
My research focuses on the design and synthesis of molecular functional materials and metallopolymers (1D and 2D) with photofunctional properties and energy functions. Currently, my team aims at developing sustainable energy sources and improving the technologies for energy
conversions in order to meet the world’s future energy demand.
Academic and Professional Experiences
- Chairman, Hong Kong Chemical Society
- Associate Editor, Journal of Materials Chemistry C (RSC)
- Associate Editor, Materials Advances (RSC)
- Editor, Journal of Organometallic Chemistry (Elsevier)
- Editor, Topics in Current Chemistry (Springer)
- International Advisory Board Member, Dalton Transactions (RSC)
- International Advisory Board Member, Molecular Systems Design & Engineering (RSC)
- International Advisory Board Member, Macromolecular Rapid Communications (Wiley-VCH)
- International Advisory Board Member, Macromolecular Chemistry and Physics (Wiley-VCH)
- International Advisory Board Member, Chemistry: An Asian Journal (Wiley-VCH)
- International Advisory Board Member, Advanced Optical Materials (Wiley-VCH) (2016-2020)
- International Advisory Board Member, The Chemical Record (Wiley-VCH)
- Advisory Board Member, EcoMat (Wiley)
- Advisory Board Member, Science China: Chemistry (Science China Press)
- Editorial Board Member, EnergyChem (Elsevier)
- Editorial Board Member, Acta Chimica Sinica (Chinese Chemical Society)
- Editorial Board Member, Dyes and Pigments (Elsevier) (2013-2020)
- Editorial Board Member, Comments on Inorganic Chemistry (Taylor & Francis)
- Editorial Board Member, Journal of Inorganic and Organometallic Polymers and Materials (Springer)
- Editorial Board Member, Current Organic Chemistry (Bentham Science)
- Editorial Board Member, Polymer Bulletin (Springer)
- Editorial Board Member, Journal of Cluster Science (Springer)
- Inorganic and Organometallic Syntheses
- Materials Chemistry
- Organic Electronics
- Energy Materials
- Chemo- and Biosensing
- RGC Senior Research Fellow Award (2020)
- Founding Member, The Hong Kong Young Academy of Sciences (2018)
- Clarea Au Endowed Professorship, PolyU (2018)
- Thomson Reuters/Clarivate Analytics, Highly Cited Researcher (2014-2020)
- Changjiang Chair Professorship of the Ministry of Education, P.R. China (2015)
- Japanese Photochemistry Association Lectureship Award for Asian and Oceanian Photochemist (2014)
- Second Class Prize, State Natural Science Award, P.R. China (2013)
- Asian Rising Star Award, Asian Chemical Congress (2013)
- Ho Leung Ho Lee Foundation Prize for Scientific and Technological Innovation (2012)
- Distinguished Lectureship Award, The Chemical Society of Japan (2012)
- FACS Distinguished Young Chemist Award, Federation of Asian Chemical Societies (2011)
- First Class Prize, Natural Science Award of the Ministry of Education, P.R. China (2010)
- RSC Chemistry of the Transition Metals Award, Royal Society of Chemistry (2010)
- Croucher Senior Research Fellowship Award, The Croucher Foundation (2009)
- Asian Core Program Lectureship Awards (Taiwan 2013, Japan 2011, South Korea and Singapore 2009
- Fellow, Royal Society of Chemistry (2005)
- Y. Sun, Y. Lei, W. Hu and W.-Y. Wong, "Epitaxial Growth of Nanorod Meshes from Luminescent Organic Cocrystals via Crystal Transformation", J. Am. Chem. Soc., 142, 7265–7269 (2020).
- Z. Meng, G. Li, S.-C. Yiu, N. Zhu, Z.-Q. Yu, C.-W. Leung, I. Manners and W.-Y. Wong, "Nanoimprint Lithography-Directed Self-Assembly of Heterobimetallic FeM (M = Pd, Pt) Complexes for Magnetic Patterning", Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., 59, 11521‒11526 (2020).
- Z. Chen, C.-L. Ho, L. Wang and W.-Y. Wong, "Single-Molecular White-Light Emitters and Their Potential WOLED Applications", Adv. Mater., 32, 1903269 (2020).
- X. Yang, J. Xi, Y. Sun, Y. Zhang, G. Zhou and W.-Y. Wong, "A Dopant-Free Twisted Organic Small-Molecule Hole Transport Material for Inverted Planar Perovskite Solar Cells with Enhanced Efficiency and Operational Stability", Nano Energy, 64, 103946 (2019).
- Y. Lei, Y. Sun, Y. Zhang, H. Zhang, H. Zhang, Z. Meng, W.-Y. Wong, J. Yao and H. Fu, "Complex Assembly from Planar and Twisted π-Conjugated Molecules Towards Alloy Helices and Core-Shell Structures", Nat. Commun., 9, 4358 (2018).
- Q. Dong, Z. Meng, C.-L. Ho, H. Guo, W. Yang, I. Manners, L. Xu and W.-Y. Wong, "A Molecular Approach to Magnetic Metallic Nanostructures from Metallopolymer Precursors", Chem. Soc. Rev., 47, 4934-4953 (2018).
- C. Cui, Z. He, Y. Wu, X. Cheng, H. Wu, Y. Li, Y. Cao and W.-Y. Wong, "High-Performance Polymer Solar Cells Based on a 2D-Conjugated Polymer with an Alkylthio Side-Chain", Energy Environ. Sci., 9, 885–891 (2016).
- R. Sakamoto, K. Hoshiko, Q. Liu, T. Yagi, T. Nagayama, S. Kusaka, M. Tsuchiya, Y. Kitagawa, W.-Y. Wong and H. Nishihara, "A Photofunctional Bottom-up Bis(dipyrrinato)zinc(II) Complex Nanosheet", Nat. Commun., 6, 6713 (2015).
- C. Cui, W.-Y. Wong and Y. Li, "Improvement of Open-Circuit Voltage and Photovoltaic Properties of 2D-Conjugated Polymers by Alkylthio Substitution", Energy Environ. Sci., 7, 2276–2284 (2014).
- W.-Y. Wong, X. Z. Wang, Z. He, A. B. Djurišić, C. T. Yip, K. Y. Cheung, H. Wang, C. S. K. Mak and W. K. Chan, "Metallated Conjugated Polymers as a New Avenue Towards High-efficiency Polymer Solar Cells", Nat. Mater., 6, 521–527 (2007).