Prof. Chow Ming-cheung, Larry
Head(ABCT) & Professor
- +852 3400 8614
Education and Academic Qualifications
- Diploma in Medical Laboratory Science, Hong Kong Polytechnic
- National Diploma in Science, Business and Technician Education Council
- Bachelor of Science in Biochemistry, University of London
- Doctor of Science, Harvard University
- Associateship of Royal College of Science (First Class)
We are interested in understanding the mechanism of drug resistance in cancer and parasitic diseases and to develop strategies to reverse them.
Academic and Professional Experiences
- Member, American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene
- Member, American Society for Microbiology
- Molecular Mechanism of Drug Resistance in Cancer and Parasites
- Early Phase Design of Small Molecules for Therapeutic Applications
- Parasitic Diseases
- Young Investigator Award, Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene (1995-96)
- Best Teacher's Award, PolyU (1999)
- President's Awards for Outstanding Performance/Achievement, PolyU (2000)
- Good Teacher's Award, PolyU (2009, 2010, 2011, 2012)
- Silver Award in 6th China International Invention Exhibition, China (2008)
- President's awards for Excellent Performance/Achievement, PolyU(2012/13)
- Gold Medal, Geneva Innovation Exhibition (2013)
- Special Award from the Romanian Delegation, Geneva Innovation Exhibition (2013)
- Best Overall Performance Award (2013)
- ABCT Star Award, PolyU (2014, 2016)
- Technology Transfer Award, PolyU(2016)
- US Provisional Patent Application (U. S. Patent US 8,710,097) (IP-355C) for "Flavonoid dimers and methods of making and using such"
- Patent application for "(-)-Epigallocatechin gallate derivatives for inhibiting proteasome" was filed with the United States Patent and Trademark Office (US Patent Application No. 10/921,332)
- Patent application for "Flavonoid dimers and their use" (IP-630D) (US 61/330,423 and PCT/CA2011/000517)
- Patent application for "Alkyne-, azide- and triazole-containing flavonoids as modulators for multidrug resistance in cancers" (IP-721) was filed with PCT/CN2013/072058 or WO2013127361
- Patent application for "Synthesis and Use of Amine Containing Flavonoids as Potent Anti-leishmanial Agents" (IP-817B) was filed on 26-Feb-2015 with US Patent Application No. 14/632,647.
- Yang C, Wong ILK, Peng K, Liu Z, Wang P, Jiang T, Jiang T, Chow LMC, Wan SB. Extending the structure−activity relationship study of marine natural ningalin B analogues as P-glycoprotein inhibitors. European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry. 2017;125:795-806.
- Dury L, Nasr R, Lorendeau D, Comsa E, Falson P, Di Pietro A, Baubichon-Cortay H, Wong I, Zhu X, Chan KF, Chan TH, Chow L. Flavonoid dimers are highly potent killers of multidrug resistant cancer cells overexpressing MRP1. Biochemical Pharmacology. 2017;124:10-8.
- Ashok P, Chander S, Chow LMC, Wong ILK, Singh RP, Jha PN, Sankaranarayanan M. Synthesis and in-vitro anti-leishmanial activity of (4-arylpiperazin-1-yl)(1-(thiophen-2-yl)-9H-pyrido[3,4-b]indol-3-yl)methanone derivatives. Bioorganic Chemistry. 2017;70:100-6.
- Chang KP, Kolli BK, Batchu RB, Chen HW, Chow LMC, Elliott R, Head JF, Fan CK, Hung CH, Ji DD, Lun ZR, Manna L, Matsumoto Y, Ng DKP, De Oliveira CI, Melo S, Ozbel Y, Özbilgin A, Reynolds J, Sanjoba C, Shiao SH, Shih NY, Tsai CW, Vicente MDGH, Barré CH, Volf P, Wu YL, Yu CL, Zhou XN. New "light" for one-world approach toward safe and effective control of animal diseases and insect vectors from leishmaniac perspectives. Parasites and Vectors. 2016;9(1).
- Baiceanu E, Nguyen KA, Gonzalez-Lobato L, Nasr R, Baubichon-Cortay H, Loghin F, Le Borgne M, Chow L, Boumendjel A, Peuchmaur M, Falson P. 2-Indolylmethylenebenzofuranones as first effective inhibitors of ABCC2. European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry. 2016;122:408-18.
- Yan CSW, Wong ILK, Chan KF, Kan JWY, Chong TC, Law MC, Zhao Y, Chan SW, Chan TH, Chow LMC. A new class of safe, potent, and specific p-gp modulator: Flavonoid dimer fd18 reverses p-gp-mediated multidrug resistance in human breast xenograft in vivo. Molecular Pharmaceutics. 2015;12(10):3507-17.
- Wong ILK, Wang BC, Yuan J, Duan LX, Liu Z, Liu T, Li XM, Hu X, Zhang XY, Jiang T, Wan SB, Chow LMC. Potent and Nontoxic Chemosensitizer of P-Glycoprotein-Mediated Multidrug Resistance in Cancer: Synthesis and Evaluation of Methylated Epigallocatechin, Gallocatechin, and Dihydromyricetin Derivatives. Journal of Medicinal Chemistry. 2015;58(11):4529-49.
- Wang Z, Wong ILK, Li FX, Yang C, Liu Z, Jiang T, Jiang TF, Chow LMC, Wan SB. Optimization of permethyl ningalin B analogs as P-glycoprotein inhibitors. Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry. 2015;23(17):5566-73.
- Lun ZR, Wu MS, Chen YF, Wang JY, Zhou XN, Liao LF, Chen JP, Chow LMC, Chang KP. Visceral leishmaniasis in China: An endemic disease under Control. Clinical Microbiology Reviews. 2015;28(4):987-1004.
- Zhang N, Zhang Z, Wong ILK, Wan S, Chow LMC, Jiang T. 4,5-Di-substituted benzyl-imidazol-2-substituted amines as the structure template for the design and synthesis of reversal agents against P-gp-mediated multidrug resistance breast cancer cells. European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry. 2014;83:74-83.