Skip to main content Start main content

Opening a Bank Account

Documents needed for Bank Account Opening

The local banks may require you to provide the following documents* for opening a savings account in Hong Kong. To speed up the application process, please bring a photocopy of the following documents:

1. Hong Kong ID card/Passport/Travel document(s) 

2. Proof of PolyU student status (e.g. student ID card or full set document of Notice of Offer)

3. Proof of permanent address of your hometown in English

  • for Mainland Students: Official Identity Card issued by Chinese Mainland
  • for International Students: Utility bill, mobile phone bill, tax demand note, driver's license or bank statement, etc with address in English (The bill or bank statement should be dated within the last two months.)

4. Proof of Hong Kong residential address in English

  • For students residing at Student Halls proof of residential address will be distributed to you by the Hall Administration at check-in.
  • For students residing at Non-University Managed Accommodations,
             a. bills or invoices issued by public bodies (e.g. utility bills for water, electricity , mobile phone, internet services, Hospital Authority or towngas services); or by banks, insurance companies
             b. valid and "stamped" (for stamp duty) tenancy agreement (the criterion of being issued within 3 months before the date of submitting the application is not mandatory but such tenancy should cover the date of application)

5. Contact phone number in Hong Kong and e-mail address

* Information from Hang Seng Bank for your reference. Other banks may require different documents.

Your browser is not the latest version. If you continue to browse our website, Some pages may not function properly.

You are recommended to upgrade to a newer version or switch to a different browser. A list of the web browsers that we support can be found here