My recent research covers teacher learning with a focus on identity and emotions and teacher professional development on classroom discourse. To add, I have also engaged in practitioner research both as a teacher educator and a language teacher. That said, my research interests include teacher learning, practitioner research, drama-in-education, and teacher talk in multilingual classroom settings.
I am the chair of the TESOL International Association's Research Professional Council (2022-2024) and a MAXQDA professional trainer (VERBI Software).
Education and Academic Qualifications
- PhD in English Language Teaching, Dokuz Eylul University, Turkey
- MA in English Language Teaching, Balikesir University, Turkey
- MA in Theatre Pedagogy and Child/Play/Drama, Ankara University, Turkey
Academic and Professional Experiences
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
- Visiting Student/Researcher, Michigan State University
- Research Assistant, Balikesir University, Turkey
- Research Assistant, Dokuz Eylul University, Turkey
- Drama in language education
- Practitioner research
- Academic writing
- Qualitative research
- Second language acquisition
- “A critical ethnographic understanding of lesson study as an EFL teacher professional development strategy” 2018-2019. Funded by Turkish-Fulbright Commission Doctoral Research Program Scholarships.
- “Foreign language anxiety among children” [115K738-3001]. 2015-2017, Funded by Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey.
- “Teaching English as a foreign language through theatre: Theatre-makers’ perspectives” [BAP.2015.0001]. 2015, Funded by Balikesir University, Research Projects Fund.
- “Presidential Plenary: Inspiring the Future of Research in ELT”, TESOL 2023 International Convention & English Language Expo, Oregon, Portland, US.
- TESOL International Association
- American Association for Applied Linguistics
- Hong Kong Association for Applied Linguistics
- The Literacy Trek, Associate Editor
- ERIES Journal, Editorial Board Member
- The Betty Azar Grant for Practicing ESL/EFL Teachers (TESOL International Association, 2022)
- Albert H. Marckwardt Grant (TESOL International Association, 2020),
- Fulbright Ph.D. Research Grant (U.S. Department of State, Fulbright Program, 2018-2019),
- Academic Incentive Award (Balikesir University, 2019),
- Academic Incentive Award (Balikesir University, 2017),
- Academic Incentive Award (Balikesir University, 2016),
- Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey Scholarships (TUBITAK) for PhD studies (2016-2020).
- Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey Scholarships (TUBITAK) for MA studies (2014-2016)