Dr Blair Ying Jin
Research Assistant Professor
- +852 2766 7557
My research covers three main areas: conversation analysis, health communication, and social media discourse analysis. I also have a secondary interest in data analytics. I am currently collaborating with my supervisor on social media discourse analysis.
Education and Academic Qualifications
- PhD in Linguistics, Department of English, Hong Kong Polytechnic University
- MA in English Language Studies, Department of English, Hong Kong Polytechnic University
- MSc in International Business, Nottingham University China, Hong Kong Polytechnic University
- BA in English, Wanli University, China
Academic and Professional Experiences
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow (under UM-Talents Program), Department of English, University of Macau, Macau
- Lecturer (Part-time), HKUSPACE, Hong Kong
- Research Associate (Part-time), Department of English, Hong Kong Polytechnic University
- Teaching Assistant (Part-time): Department of English, Hong Kong Polytechnic University
- Academic Writing
- Conversation Analysis
- Health Communication
- Conversation Analysis
- Discourse Analysis
- Jin, Y. (forthcoming June 2022). Doctor-patient communication in Chinese and Western Medicine. Routledge. https://doi.org/10.4324/9781003161929
- Jin, Y. & Kim, Y. H. (2022). Dietary advice in chronic care: comparing traditional Chinese and western medicine practiced in mainland China. Social Science & Medicine, 292, 114621. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.socscimed.2021.114621
- Jin, Y., Kim, Y. H., & Carlin, A. (2021). Co-topical small talk: Troubles-telling in traditional Chinese medical encounters. Applied Linguistics. https://doi.org/10.1093/applin/amab057
- Jin, Y. & Tay, D. (2021). Discretion: The final particle ou and its functions in medical advice-giving. Chinese Language and Discourse. 12(2): 158-180. https://doi.org/10.1075/cld.20010.jin
- Turnbull, M., Jin, Y., Yau, A., Lai, S., Cheung, Y. & Watson, B. (2020), mHealth in hyper-connected Hong Kong: Examining attitudes and access to mobile devices and health information among older Chinese residents. mHealth, 7, 43. https://dx.doi.org/10.21037%2Fmhealth-20-123
- Turnbull, M., Watson, B., Jin, Y., Lok, B., & Sanderson, A. (2020). Vicarious trauma, social media and recovery in Hong Kong. Asian Journal of Psychiatry, 51, 102032. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajp.2020.102032
- Jin, Y. & Watson, B. (2020). Playback and the negotiation of roles and identities: An investigation of traditional Chinese medical consultations. Journal of Language and Social Psychology, 39 (5-6): 716-737. https://doi.org/10.1177%2F0261927X20908614
- Jin, Y. (2018). Small talk in medical conversations: Data from China. Journal of Pragmatics, 134, 31-44. (SSCI: 1.350) https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pragma.2018.06.011
- Jin, Y. & Tay, D. (2017). Comparing Doctor-Elderly Patient Communication between Traditional Chinese Medicine and Western Medicine Encounters: Data from China. Communication & Medicine, 14,121-134. https://doi.org/10.1558/cam.31872
- Jin, Y. (2017). Review of Östman, Jan-Ola & Anna Solin, (eds) (2016) Discourse and responsibility in professional settings. Pragmatics & Society, 8, 318-322. (SSCI: 0.429) https://doi.org/10.1075/ps.8.2.08yin
- Sheeran, N., Jin, Y., Pines, R., & Jones, L. (Accepted). Communication accommodation theory. In The international encyclopedia of health communication.
- Jin, Y. (2020). Framing boundaries of medical interactions: Data from China. In Watson, B. M. & Krieger, J. (Eds.), Expanding horizons in health communication: An Asian perspective (pp. 107-131). Hong Kong: Springer. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-15-4389-0_6
- Jin, Y. & Tay, D. (2022). Online blame discourse. To be presented at The 17th International Conference on Language and Social Psychology (ICLASP17), Hong Kong.
- Jin, Y., Jones, L., Occhipinti, S., Baquiano, M., Pamoso, A., Elwin, M., & Ang, A. (2021). Hedging and identity positioning: culture and interview discourse about health stigma. Presented at the IALSP-AASP (Association of Asian Social Psychology) 2021 virtual symposium.
- Jin, Y. (2020). Exploring communication and chronic disease: Empirical evidence from doctor-patient encounters in Mainland China. Presented at ICA (International Communication Associateion) 2020 virtual conference.
- Jin, Y. (2020). Are you satisfied or not: A comparative study of patient evaluations of doctors' communicative behaviors in TCM and WM practiced in China. Presented at ICA (International Communication Associateion) 2020 virtual conference.
- Jin, Y. (2019). I am the authority but I am doing friendship: The use of utterance-final particles in persuasive medical activities. Paper presented at the 16th International Pragmatics Conference. The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hong Kong.
- Jin, Y. (2018). Lifestyle communication in medical interviews: Data from China. Paper presented at the International Conference on Language and Social Psychology. University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada.
- Jin, Y. (2018). Greetings in medical consultations. Paper presented at the Expanding Horizons in Health Communication Symposium. IRCAHC (International Research Center for the Advancement of Health Communication). The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hong Kong.
- Jin, Y. (2016). Doctor-patient communication in Chinese contexts: An exploratory study of the similarities and differences between traditional Chinese medicine and Western medicine. Paper presented at COMET 2016 (14th International and Interdisciplinary Conference on Communication, Medicine and Ethics). Danish Institute of Humanities and Medicine, Aalborg University, Aalborg.