The Hong Kong Linguistics Olympiad
Past HKLO problems || What is HKLO? || [語奧探知] at Wen Hui Bao || HKLO Organising Committee
The Regulations for HKLO 2023 can be found HERE.
The Results for HKLO 2023 can be found HERE.
- April 9th, 2023 – 5th Asia-Pacific Linguistics Olympiad
- July 22nd-29th, 2023 – 20th International Linguistics Olympiad
One team of 4 students has represented Hong Kong in the 19th International Linguistics Olympiad which took place online between the 24th and 30th of July 2022 in Castletown, Isle of Man. The Hong Kong team has achieved one Silver medal (Tam Lok Hang), one Bronze medal (Henry Wong), two Best Solution awards (Tam Lok Hang - problem 4 and Henry Wong - problem 5), as well as an Honourable Mention in the Team Contest!
Hong Kong representatives to IOL 2022
From left to right: Samantha Yung (Pui Ching Middle School), Henry Wong (Diocesan Boys' School), Vlad A. Neacșu (Team Leader), Ian Tam (La Salle College), Ryan Lo (Diocesan Boys’ School).
One team of 4 students has represented Hong Kong in the 18th International Linguistics Olympiad which took place online between the 19th and 24th of July 2021. All four students have been awarded a medal! (Xie Lingrui – Gold medal, Ian Tam – Silver medal, Ip Tsz Oi – Silver medal, Ng Truman Toby – Bronze medal). Moreover, Hong Kong team earned the Gold Trophy for the highest average team score at the individual contest.
Hong Kong representatives to IOL 2021
From left to right: Xie Lingrui (La Salle College), Ip Tsz Oi (Diocesan Girls' School), Ian Tam (La Salle College), Ng Truman Toby (St. Paul's College).
The International Linguistics Olympiad was cancelled due to the global COVID-19 pandemic.
Hong Kong took part for the first time in the International Linguistics Olympiad with two teams.
Past problems and results
- HKLO2023: Problems || Solutions || Results
- HKLO2022: Problems || Solutions || Results
- HKLO2021: Problems || Solutions || Results
- HKLO2020: Problems || Solutions || Results
- HKLO2019: Problems || Solutions || Results
What is the HKLO?
Hong Kong Linguistics Olympiad is the accredited competition to allow pre-university students to participate in the international linguistics competitions (International Linguistics Olympiad and Asia Pacific Linguistics Olympiad). The linguistics Olympiad consists of solving linguistic puzzles which require only logical ability, patient work and the willingness to accept challenges. No prior knowledge of linguistics or second languages is required. Students can learn more about the knowledge of world languages and improve their abilities of observation, logic and awareness of diversity while solving problems involving language data. Everyone is welcome to give it a try and explore the wondrous realm of language and experience its gems. The working language for HKLO is English. Participants who are eligible for linguistic Olympiads in other nations/regions (in addition to Hong Kong) cannot compete in multiple contests each year.
For more information about Hong Kong results in the international competitions, please refer to the following official websites:
International Linguistics Olympiad: http://www.ioling.org/
Asia Pacific Linguistics Olympiad: https://www.aplo.asia/
Hong Kong Linguistics Olympiad: https://polyu.hk/amuVS
HKLO Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Hong-Kong-Linguistics-Olympiad-HKLO-763434627350476/
[語奧探知] at Wen Hui Bao
Wen Hui Bao version:
- 2019-09-12 Loan Words
- 2019-09-27 Mongolian Letters
- 2019-10-11 Word Order
- 2019-10-25 Sapir-Whorf Hypothesis
- 2019-11-08 Morphology and Word Formation
- 2019-11-28 What makes both ‘I’ and ‘me’ representing the same word in Chinese?
- 2019-12-13 Some Semantics (Part 1)
- 2019-12-16 Some Semantics (Part 2)
- 2020-01-03 Pame and Its Octonary Number System (Part 1)
- 2020-01-03 Pame and Its Octonary Number System (Part 2)
- 2020-01-17 Tibetic languages
- 2020-06-12 The Tibetan script
- Prof. Huang, Chu-Ren (Department of Chinese and Bilingual Studies, HK PolyU)
- Prof. Ahrens, Kathleen (Department of English and Communication, HK PolyU)
- Prof. Chan, Shui Duen (Department of Chinese and Bilingual Studies, HK PolyU)
- Prof. Cummings, Louise (Department of English and Communication, HK PolyU)
- Dr. Chen, Si (Department of Chinese and Bilingual Studies, HK PolyU)
- Prof. Li, Chor Shing David (Department of Chinese and Bilingual Studies, HK PolyU)
- Dr. Lim, Juyoung (Bank of America Merrill Lynch)
- Dr. Lee, Po Lun Peppina (Department of Linguistics and Translation, CityU HK)
- Ms. Luo, Xin (Leader of HK team in IOL 2019)
- Mr. Neacșu, Vlad (City University of Hong Kong)
- Mr. Pan, Tung-Le (Medalist at the International Linguistics Olympiad)
- Dr. Tay, Dennis (Department of English and Communication, HK PolyU)
- Dr. Yao, Yao (Department of Chinese and Bilingual Studies, HK PolyU)
- Ms. Yen, Jennifer (Parent representative)
- Hong Kong Polytechnic University
• Faculty of Humanities
- Department of Chinese Bilingual Studies
> The Hong Kong Polytechnic University-Peking University Research Centre on Chinese Linguistics (RP2U2)
- Department of English and Communication
> Research Centre for Professional Communication in English (RCPCE)
• Communications and Public Affairs Office
• Department of Computing
- Hong Kong Academy of the Humanities (HKAH)
- The Linguistic Society of Hong Kong (LSHK)