The Department of Chinese and Bilingual Studies at the Hong Kong Polytechnic University (PolyU) welcomes aspiring scholars in language sciences to join the Department as Postdoctoral Fellows. Candidates will have the opportunity to work with internationally renowned scholars and join over 100 academic staff members in linguistics and language sciences at the Faculty of Humanities of PolyU, which is ranked 23rd in the world (and 5th in Asia) in linguistics by QS World University Subject Ranking 2014.
Qualifications and Requirements of the Fellowship
Applicants should have:
- a PhD degree or an equivalent qualification from a recognised institution, specialising in one or more of the following sub-disciplines:
- Code-switching or Translanguaging;
- Medium of Instruction (CLIL);
- Plurilingual Interaction and Plurilingual Identities;
- Child Acquisition of Language(s);
- Bilingual Education;
- Bilingual Communication Strategies; and
- Ethnic Minority Students’ Needs for Chinese.
- a proven track record in high quality research as evidenced by publications and other research outcomes.
Duration of the Fellowship
The duration of a Postdoctoral Fellowship will normally be two years. The primary duty of the Postdoctoral Fellow is to conduct the approved research project under the guidance of the faculty member who will act as the PI of the project.
Salary and Other Benefits
The funding provided by CBS for the salary of a Postdoctoral Fellow will be no less than HK$25,000 per month. Mandatory Provident Fund (MPF) will also be provided in addition.
Applications for Postdoctoral Fellowships are welcome year round.
How to Apply
- An application must be made by a faculty member (the designated PI) on behalf of the applicant in relation to a specific research project. The application should be addressed to the Departmental Research Committee.
- Each applicant is required to fill in Form HR7A and submit this, along with his/her Resume/CV, to the faculty member for inclusion in the application.
Information to be included in a Resume/CV
- The applicant is required to select up to five of his/her most representative research output items and provide a full list of publications/other research output items for the consideration of the Committee/Panel concerned.
- If the research output items are journal articles, both the impact factor and the ranking of each journal within its discipline should be provided, if practicable.
- Accepted, yet-to-be-published journal articles can also be included, but the letters of unconditional acceptance must be provided as evidence.
- If the applicant is not the first or second author of a journal paper listed, a statement as to how he/she made a significant contribution to the paper should be provided.
- The journal list of the Faculty/School concerned will be used as the main criteria for assessing the quality of the applicant’s journal publications.
- For journals that are not on the list of the Faculty/School concerned, their impact factor and ranking within their discipline will also be considered.
A Postdoctoral Fellow is required to have his/her PhD or equivalent qualification in hand when the Fellowship commences. A Fellowship must commence within six months of the date on which the Fellowship is awarded. Documented evidence from the registry of his/her university confirming the attainment of the PhD or equivalent qualification may be required.