Led by Deputy Secretary for Education Ms. Louise SO, seven officials from the Professional Development and Special Education Branch of Education Bureau (EDB) visited the Department of Chinese and Bilingual Studies (CBS) on 14 February 2023 to understand how technologies are utilized in applied language sciences research, and their application values in the education sector.
The EDB guests include:
- Ms. Louise SO, Deputy Secretary for Education 4
- Ms. Mandy HO, Principal Assistant Secretary (Special Education)
- Mrs. Gloria LI, Principal Education Officer (Special Education)1
- Ms. Joyce YIP, Principal Education Officer (Special Education)2
- Ms. Louise HUI, Senior Specialist (Speech Therapy Service)
- Dr. Dorothy LI, Senior Specialist (Education Psychology Service / NTW)
- Ms. Bianca WONG, Senior Education Officer (Special Education Support 1)
After the opening remarks by Prof. Ping LI, Dean of Faculty of Humanities and Dr. Cindy NGAI, Associate Head of CBS, CBS researchers introduced the equipment in the Speech and Language Sciences Laboratory to the guests, including a social robot for speech training for children with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD), a Transcranial Direct Current Stimulation (tDCS) system for speech and language intervention, and an electroencephalography (EEG) system to address issues in second language acquisition. The guests then visited three more facilities at PolyU, namely the Brain, Language, and Computation Lab, the Speech Therapy Unit (STU), and the University Research Facility in Behavioral and Systems Neuroscience (UBSN). We look forward to further collaborations with the Professional Development and Special Education Branch of EDB on the educational and clinical applications of the research findings in the future.