Energy and Environment-related Finance, Economics, Accounting and Law
i) Energy supply and pricing
· The formation of energy prices
· The relationships among energy markets and associated influences on energy prices
· Energy demand estimation and forecast
ii) Economic growth and energy
· Can economic growth be stimulated even under downward pressure if not forgoing certain forms of energy for environmental or safety reasons?
· Can oil, gas, renewable and other energy development be a major force that stimulates economic growth?
· What policy framework would maximize the contribution of energy to growth?
· What policy framework can encourage efficient substitution of sustainable for less sustainable resources?
iii) Energy efficiency
· Investigation of the role of energy efficiency in climate mitigation and sustainable development strategies
iv) Waste management
· To examine public preferences on siting landfills and building incineration facilities
· To examine public support on different charging mechanisms for households
· Cost-benefit analysis on different recycling programmes
v) Climate change economics
· The pricing of carbon as a means to stimulate the reduction of emissions
· Strategic emissions management and the role played by traded permits and their derivatives in the broader financial markets
vi) Extreme weather risk management
· Extreme tail risk mitigation using hedging products available in the catastrophe space
· Forecasting tropical cyclones using a market-based forward-looking approach
· Extreme weather modeling in typhoon, heat wave, severe tropical storms, monsoon, etc.
vii) Energy Finance and Sustainability
· Financial analysis of oil, natural gas, coal, nuclear, renewable energy resources, CO2, etc.
· Innovative clean energy financing − securing public and private equity to support strategies for capital efficient growth, such as green banks
· Risk management in the energy industry
· Real option analysis of investment and financing of renewable energy projects
· Forecasting energy pricing and volume trends
· Develop and fine-tune energy policy and regulatory strategies
viii) Environmental-related Accounting, Finance, and Economics
· Environmental management accounting (EMA) system and environmental performance analyses (EPS) for Hong Kong companies
· Corporate social and ethical reporting: An international comparison
· Understanding China’s Environmental and Energy Challenges and Policy Options
· Derivative pricing and hedging of energy derivatives
· CSR and the Law: A Comparative Case Study of Canada and Hong Kong