Portrait of smiling hispanic boy looking at camera. Young elementary schoolboy carrying backpack and standing in library at school. Cheerful middle eastern child standing with library background.

Opening Bank Account

A policy on the arrangement of opening bank account at local banks for people under age of 18 (minors) has been imposed by the Hong Kong Monetary Authority (HKMA). Minors are required to be accompanied by parent/guardian when opening a bank account. The parent/guardian will be requested to sign a declaration and provide a copy of HKID card/passport/other documents if necessary. For details, please check with the local banks directly.

Leaving Hong Kong for one day or more

Non-local students under the age of 18 should complete the Departure Record Form and return it to the Non-local Student Services Team (NLSST) at QT308, Communal Building at least 7 working days before leaving Hong Kong for one day or above.

You are also required to ask your parents to fill out Part B of the form and send the scanned copy to NLSST by email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Special Regulations for Minors residing at Student Halls of Residence

If a hall resident is under age 18, he shall  

  1. notify a Hall Tutor before 22:00 when he/she returns or leaves the hall after 23:00;
  2. seek verbal endorsement before 22:00 from a Hall Tutor when he/she applies for overnight stay of a visitor at the Halls; and
  3. notify a Hall Tutor with an address where he/she will stay overnight in any accommodation other than the Halls;