The Hong Kong Polytechnic University (PolyU) will be organizing the Service-Learning in Higher Education: Teacher Development Course for all academic and teaching staff from higher education institutions.
PolyU has made service-learning (SL) part of the core curriculum since 2012. We cater for almost 4500 students every year to serve in Hong Kong, Mainland China, Taiwan, and other countries like Rwanda, Cambodia, Vietnam, Indonesia and the Philippines. SL has been so impactful for our students and us, and feedback from service recipients and community partners are extremely positive. SL is getting popular in Hong Kong and Asia, but it still not a very well-understood pedagogy and is often confused with community service and volunteerism. For this reason, we created a community of practice in SL for higher education teachers, with the goal to build capacity and create community among like-minded peers.
About the Course
- Teachers/Practitioners who are interested in developing and teaching service-learning (SL) courses/projects in higher educational levels
- To learn about what SL is, how to do it, and its impacts on students/participants
- To examine different SL course/projects, and speak with teachers and students
- To explore different NGOs, local and overseas, what they do, and how to design an SL project
|Phase 1||20-25 June 2022||15-hour asynchronous e-Learning
- To provide an overview of the main concepts underlying academic SL
|Phase 2||27-30 June 2022||4-topic-based lectures
- A more interactive experience to reinforce concepts, link to research-based practices, share experiences and practices, and allow participants a chance to ask questions, share experiences and practices, etc.
|Phase 3||4-9 July 2022||4-session experiential and observational learning
- An opportunity for in-depth understanding of a few subjects
HK$2,500 / US$320
* PolyU Staff Development Grant on Service-Learning is available for members of Community of Practice on Service-Learning (CoP-SL). Please contact Ms. Renee Leung at email@example.com for details.
** We have a special rate available for participants from developing countries. For information, please contact Ms. Renee Leung at firstname.lastname@example.org.
About the Instructors
Dr Grace Ngai– Head of Service-Learning and Leadership Office (SLLO) and Associate Professor of Department of Computing, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
Dr Stephen Chan– Consultant and former Head of SLLO, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
* SLLO won the 2020 International Research Award of International Association for Research on Service-Learning and Community Engagement (IARSLCE)
* Dr Grace Ngai and Dr Stephen Chan are the recipients of the University Grants Committee (UGC) Teaching Award in 2016
Date: 31 May 2022 (Tue)
Time: 1830 - 1930 (HK Time)
Deadline: by 23:59, 13 June 2022 (Monday)
Ms Renee Leung
Tel: +852 2766 6802